Oil filter observation after LIM replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
..on my 1997 GM 4.3.

This isn't very scientific, but I found it interesting nonetheless. Both filters are AC Delco PF52's and were ran for about the same time and mileage. 1 week and ~350 miles. Certified conventional 10w30 was used both times.

Let me start by saying my LIM gaskets were leaking since I bought the truck back in March. I knew the job needed done, but they never leaked enough to require a coolant top off or visually contaminate the oil in my 7k of ownership. The job took me a few days, but I took my time and had to work around weather. Not a bad job really and it certainly won't keep me from buying another one.

This was ran right after the LIM replacement. I used shop towels and a shop vac in effort to keep gunk out of the engine, but obviously it was still allowed to get in somehow. I felt better with doing the 1 week runs of oil because a bit of coolant was collecting in the engine as well.

This is the second run of my PF52 and Certified oil combo. Much cleaner. The oil in the can looks cleaner and brighter, but I think that's the difference in lighting. One photo was taken in a garage with florescent lamps and another was taken outside.

Right now, it has a frankenbrew of Certified, Delo 15w30 and QSUD with a Microgard filter. I'll run that a while then go to synthetic something.

Looks like it's fixed! The media in the second picture is a lighter color which indicates to me a short run with clean oil.

Was that the original lower intake gasket? Was the gasket plastic?

Anyway, that's a big job on these engines. Good job!

Just out of curiosity,(no pics down the center tube), were these filters PF52 or PF52e?

Not that it matters for your short OCI's but, I have a PF52e on the Firebird in my signature, and if it looks put together as well as the ones in your pics, I'll be happy!
laugh.gif

Those are ACDelco Classic PF52 not ecore. O'Reilly and Advance still stock them. I just bought one the other day from O'Reilly, and it was made in 2017. Champ Labs is still cranking them out.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Those are ACDelco Classic PF52 not ecore. O'Reilly and Advance still stock them. I just bought one the other day from O'Reilly, and it was made in 2017. Champ Labs is still cranking them out.

Make sure you actually look at the filter, as many non-e part number ACDelco filters are using the e-core design. Unless I'm missing something obvious
smirk.gif

Looks like it's fixed! The media in the second picture is a lighter color which indicates to me a short run with clean oil.

I am not too sure, but I am guessing they were original given how neglected the poor thing was, but these weren't plastic either. A dead squid is the best way to describe them.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Just out of curiosity,(no pics down the center tube), were these filters PF52 or PF52e?

Not that it matters for your short OCI's but, I have a PF52e on the Firebird in my signature, and if it looks put together as well as the ones in your pics, I'll be happy!
laugh.gif

These are the non e core filters. I personally wouldn't have considered them if they were.

Somewhat unrelated, but this is how I was able to orientate the intake onto the engine with the first try.

I ended up buying new intake bolts just because. It turned out that mine were saturated in coolant, so it was a good idea anyways. I just took 2 bolts and cut the heads off. Then I ground a chamfer on them and then placed them in the front left and rear right holes on the engine just half a turn or so. I had the gaskets and RTV ready and plopped it down. I finger tightened the remaining 6 bolts then removed the guides and installed those bolts next before the torquing sequence. Hope this helps someone.

Good Job! I have a 1998 GMC 1500 pickup with the 4.3.
I bought it with a bad engine and replaced with a GM reman.
I bought the Felpro Ultra seal intake gaskets, which are supposed to be the best. 2 and a half years now and going strong!
The 4.3 is a tough engine!

BTW I like to do a short oci after doing any major "surgery" like that on an engine. Any time you crack them open you always disturb some deposits.
In your case with a coolant leak, a really good idea to help flush any residual coolant.

Originally Posted By: dogememe

Make sure you actually look at the filter, as many non-e part number ACDelco filters are using the e-core design. Unless I'm missing something obvious
smirk.gif

Classic have metal end caps with metal center tube, and the center tube still has round holes and not slits. Ecore have some type of fiber(felt?) end caps with a plastic cage for the center tube. I have used both the PF52-E and the PF52 Classic, and cut both open numerous times. I would use the ecore in a pinch, but prefer the Classic.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I am not too sure, but I am guessing they were original given how neglected the poor thing was, but these weren't plastic either. A dead squid is the best way to describe them.

Dead squid.
grin2.gif

Maybe GM only used the plastic gaskets on the 3.1...not sure.

What coolant did you use?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Dead squid.
grin2.gif

Maybe GM only used the plastic gaskets on the 3.1...not sure.

What coolant did you use?

My goal was to run Dexcool, JD Cool Gard or G05, but I want to do a Mercedes Benz citric flush so for now I just went with Super Tech conventional green.

The garden hose flush and new coolant uncovered a leaky water pump so at this point I am bit too scared to proceed. Lol.

I have been using the Ecore on my work trucks and even with extended drain intervals, i have not seen any issues with the filters I have cut open.

Originally Posted By: xtell
I have been using the Ecore on my work trucks and even with extended drain intervals, i have not seen any issues with the filters I have cut open.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Every time I cut an eCore, the elements are in great shape.

With the few stories I have heard of them imploding, I'll pass. I've had just as good of luck with Fram, WIX and as you can see here, the AC Delco. I have absolutely no reason to go out of my way and buy one of these.

I agree with your viewpoint. Initially, there were issues with the integrity of the inner cage that supports the media. Changes to the actual design of the inner plastic support seem to have eliminated further issues. The Wix and Fram design are proven to be trouble free.

Here's the WIX's can after another week. I'm surprised to see the crud, but at least the filter is working. I'll spare you all the media photo. Typical WIX construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back