Bad injector in a twin. Do I need a matched pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new-to-me, not-run-in-5-years Ducati has a bad injector and a perfectly fine one. Do I need to replace both of the injectors with a matched pair, or should I just replace the bad injector? The prices are $210 vs $45 so you can tell which way I'm leaning. Thanks!

I am leaning towards just replacing the one injector. But if it sat for 5 years, you might have some other fuel related issues unless it was properly winterized aka gas stabilizer.

The bike was revived carefully with each injector being cleaned and flushed with Techron. Even during the first flush the good injector sprayed quite a bit more fuel than the bad injector. An extra $150 seems worth it for piece of mind, but that's 25% of the bike's sale price!

Last edited:
I have a couple of Ducatis but so far haven't had any injector issues so no first hand experience. I would be inclined to just replace the single bad injector as unless you have a race engine and are trying to extact every tiny fraction of a Horsepower I don't think your engine will know the difference.

Welcome to BITOG but another thing I would do is search for Ducati forums. There are several with a few members that live and breathe Ducati engines. They could more likely give you some definitive answers and recommendations.

Is this a $600 beater or a smoking deal on a clean bike? If it is a beater just patch it, if it is a clean bike put some money into it. Either way it should run fine with 1 injector. Matched injectors may make it run a bit smoother, but you may never even notice the difference.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
For under $50 for the pair, why not send both out for possible revival and cleaning?

Exactly what I would do.

Never sent in an injector to this outfit, but they do come up lots when sending out injectors for service.

http://www.witchhunter.com/

Wow, a $600 Ducati that's new enough to be EFI? I'm already sad imagining its overall condition.
frown.gif

RC Engineering is another good source (so I've heard). https://www.rceng.com

Isn't there a user in here who services fuel injectors?

The bike is in shockingly good condition. Guy hadn't ridden it since his child was born and was moving, so he just wanted it out of the garage.

I bought an unmatched pair of injectors on ebay so I can ride the beautiful bike. Once they are on the bike, I'll send off my factory units to be cleaned. If the factory units can be restored, I'll put them back on the bike and sell my eBay Weber injectors.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What year and model is it, I can do them.

Sorry to OP to get off topic, but

I have 4 snowmobile injectors that I need cleaned. But the wire connectors are glued together. If I cut the wires and send the injectors in to be cleaned, does that create a problem for the people cleaning them?

Could you PM me what you get to clean injectors please? I assume you have a machine to clean them? (Im unsure of the name of the high psi machine that does the work)
Its a 2 cylinder Polaris 700cc 2 stroke with 4 injectors. Im having some severe runabilty issues and the injectors have alot of miles on them, at least alot of miles for a snowmobile.

Thanks.

Glued together? Do you have a picture? Yes cut wires are a problem they cant be hooked to to the machine without doing some Mickey Mouse stuff I rather not get into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back