Odd engine msg on Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove several (6) hours and was driving on a side street and received an "reduced engine power" msg. No other indicators, plenty of fuel and DEF. It had plenty of time driving to do any needed regens.

Obviously Powerstroke engine in F250.

I do not have owners manual with me.

Unless you have a scan tool you'll need a dealer. Computer is seeing something it doesn't like and cutting output it sounds like.

Alternatively, you could dump some fuel system cleaner in the tank and go flog oggin until you burn out the unhappy or get the message to come on and stay on.

heh "Reduced-Powerstroke"
Gotta be some kind of protection mode, perhaps the ATF or some othe temperature crossed a threshold or something

I know 2 of them give that message and the one before the DPF will shut truck off. I think the DEF sensor also does that. Hope it is that easy.

I hope you have an extended warranty. It may be something as simple as a sensor, but if it is anything else, you are looking at $$$$. There have been cases where the DEF pump has failed that causes the reduced power message, but even that will be 2Kish.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Engine is under power train warranty still.

Yeah, let Ford sort it out. There are 1000 things that could be causing the ECM to reduce power.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens when these trucks get out of warranty. End up with 3 year old trucks in the junk yard because it needs a 15,000 dollar exhaust system or something.

At least the VW's won't be lonely. The diesel advantage has become non existent with all the EPA regs. $$ repairs and reduced economy make the savings non existent unless towing daily.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Gonna be interesting to see what happens when these trucks get out of warranty. End up with 3 year old trucks in the junk yard because it needs a 15,000 dollar exhaust system or something.
One of the reasons many late model diesel owners perform an emissions 'delete'.

Warning: You may be entering "DEF Hades". This happens to all manufacturers. Unconquerable DEF and reduced power that nobody can solve.

Let Ford tackle it. Hopefully yours is not one of those perpetual issues.

I am 300 miles from home. My laptop with a scanner is home.

The msg only appeared for a few seconds and is gone. Do I go to a Ford dealer today or wait until next week?

Last edited:
It has now happened twice more.

With reduced power I cannot take it on the highway to go home.

Any chance the rainy weather has contributed to this issue?

As already stated it could be anything, including water getting into a plug/chaffed wire. What you are describing isn't common, hopefully your dealer can get you squared away and you are able to get back from your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back