Why are my Crossovers tires UHP & not "SUV" tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found that my tires on my Ford Edge are UHP (Hankook Noble S2)tires and not the SUV/Crossover tires.

Anyone know why they wouldn't put SUV tires on this vehicle?

What size?

Is there a law against using passenger tires on a crossover? I see TireRack recommends both passenger tires as well as light truck tires for the Edge.

You have a car, they put car tires on it.

Same reason non-trailhawk jeep cherokees come with a car tire.

UHP tires usually come with a "high performance" vehicle. It's not recommended to down grade the tires to a less performance oriented tire. I've noticed that the computer in some cars will limit the top speed to match the tires that the car was originally sold with. An understandable safety limit.
More info here: https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/what-you-need-to-know-about-uhp-tires/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

Ah, so since basically my vehicle is a raised car, that's why. correct?

its more related to the load rating.
body on fame vs unibody only has a loose correlation to weight, and ultimately it is about weight.

some lighter crossovers despite being more sporty and off-road capable like a subaru can use either a car or suv tire.

whereas heavier suvs despite their capabilities or unibody and other heavy non-suvs like minivans or vans will need the "SUV" tires because of the weight

Last edited:
ultimately though its unclear who put the tires on and who asked for the hankooks?

if those tires do not meet the oem ratings,
a previous owner might have tried to just save a few bucks by using a cheaper tire.

Need to find out what size tires.

Current Edges come available with up to 21" rim and high performance tires. Hankook is Ford OEM.

Look inside your driver side door.

There is a sticker listing all OEM tire sizes that came with your vehicle.

The same reason most half ton pickups come with "P" rated tires. Whatever those reasons are.....

What car? I'm not saying my Forester is a sports car, but it would benefit from higher-performance tires more than a non-XT Forester.

Any car can benefit from summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter.

There are a lot of reasons why you might have Passenger Car or some other non-LT tire on a crossover.

The load rating is sufficient for the weight of the vehicle.
The tires are cheaper to buy.
The ride quality is typically better (more comfortable, less road noise) with car-rated tires.

When i was speccing up a Range Rover Velar there was the option to chose Summer tyres (with i think a very road based tread pattern) rather than All Terrain which looked like a typical SUV road biased tyre.

On a 2013 Range Rover Sport belonging to a client tbaf I used to drive back in 2015 came with a road based tyre (fitted with 20" standard fit Autobiography wheels, a brand new Range Rover i had for a week came with your typical road biased SUV All Terrain tyre also on 20" wheels but these had a taller sidewall
I think you are fine as long as the load rating is correct and the speed capability correct as far as manufacturers recommendations go.

At least that is how it works in the UK.

Our Pilot had Michelin LTX on it, a very road biased all season tyre. Very comfortable. Will be changing them for a set of BF Goodrich KO2s though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
Originally Posted By: Rand

Ah, so since basically my vehicle is a raised car, that's why. correct?

Stick to UHP or HP tires for Edge. It will work much better then tire that is dedicated to SUV with some off road capability.
I was in Las Vegas 5 weeks ago and hit nail. Wheil outside was OK, looked normal, inside of my Bridgestone Dualer H/L 400 RFT was shredded. So in order not to screw up my transfer case, I got 4 new tires (old were 5/32).
They only had Michelin Premier LTX (SUV tire) and Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus (also SUV tire) since it was Saturday, and I was leaving early Monday morning. Now Verde is HP tire, Premier is grand touring, more what you would probably think of as SUV tire. I like Michelin so got it in 255/50 R19 size.
In hindsight, I suppose to go with Pirelli. Michelins are amazing in rain, very well balanced, comfortable. But X5 suspension overwhelms them fast. They have super soft thread. And while that might work in some light snow (do not care about it since I drive on snow tires in winter) in dry they cannot match capability of BMW suspension.
So, stick to what Ford recommended for Edge. if tires are hard etc. maybe Michelins I have would be good solution for you.

Last edited:
IMHO, Crossovers are what is replacing the station wagon of old - basically a car with more space. They are definitely not SUV's. And they are not minivans - that scourge of suburbia.

And if I have this right, Ford Edge's only come with UHP tires with the *Sport* package - and that's a street, not an off-road package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back