Engine overfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

Is it a problem that the engineoil is overfilled by the dealer. It is 1 cm over Max . We saw it when checking the oil during a 1100 km. Roadtrip. It has driven 4000 km with the level that way.

Søren

You guys just jumping in...

We don't know what type of car he even has.

Might be fine, might not be. Any bubbles on the dipstick after driving? Any smoke? My car would smoke like [censored] if it was that overfilled.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Might be fine, might not be. Any bubbles on the dipstick after driving? Any smoke? My car would smoke like [censored] if it was that overfilled.

There are no smoke. And no foam/bobbles i can see.

Originally Posted By: shDK
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

There are no smoke. And no foam/bobbles i can see.

Well good! Then you're probably fine, but I couldn't honestly say for sure. The marks on the dipstick are there for a reason. What type of car/engine? What does the owners manual say about an overfill condition? The more information, the better.

If you are worried , try a transfer pump ;

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-63144.html

It comes with 2 larger orange hoses & a little black hose & adapter . I think the little black hose is small enough it may go down the dip stick tube . If it will , just pump out a little .

I have used it to pump out ATF , then refill with new / clean transmission fluid .

Best of Luck ! :[-)

Last edited:
It's entirely up to you. If it is bothering you, just drain out a pint and see where it ends up on the stick. I doubt it but you may have to drain out another pint. I'd just use a qt jar as my catch pan.
I doubt it is overfilled by a qt but nothing surprises me anymore.

Me personally, I'd forget about it. But just so you know how twisted I can be, I buggered up the screw heads that hold a brake rotor on. Had to use an impact wrench to remove them. I couldn't take it thinking my rotors could live without those "meaningless" screws I drove 2 hours to get the Lexus/Toyota OEM screws. My point is, overfilling a little oil is not on my radar of concern but those 2 screws which mean virtually nothing were very important to me. If it bothers you, you gotta drain it out to the line on the stick. And I understand your "pain."

oops, time for my medicine...

My Camry holds something like 4.75 so I just end up rounding up to 5. It shows very slightly over, no issues in 60,000 miles. After 10,000 miles it's shows exactly the same spot. It has a slight amount of VVTI chatter on startup so I figured anything that helps the pump get oil there couldn't be bad.

I recall a few years back on the "Car Talk" radio show and Tom and Ray were discussing oil overfills and they said that a quarter of an inch on most dipsticks equals a quarter of a quart. And adding an extra quarter of a quart, or even half a quart, won't hurt anything, but when it is a quart over then foaming happens and foam will not lubricate very well.

Originally Posted By: shDK

There are no smoke. And no foam/bobbles that I can see.

That is good news!

10mm over max on my dipstick is about .3 liter

No worries

I finally figure out how much to add to my 3800 in the Buick to keep it from going over the full line and it turned out to be exactly 4 quarts with a filter change. It bugged me that putting in 4.5 quarts always made it about 3/8 about the full line so first I took 12 ounce out of the 5qt jug and it was still over so the last time I took out a whole quart and it's right on the line. So I'm guessing a half quart gets left in the engine after draining it, or the dip stick is off.

I used to let the oil settle for a long time before checking the dipstick. The owner's manual says to wait 5 minutes.

See if it does not look as overfilled if you check 5 minutes after running the engine.

Last edited:
We still don't know what the make and model of car the op has. There have been reports that Subaru dealers overfill.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
We still don't know what the make and model of car the op has. There have been reports that Subaru dealers overfill.

Yes, we need to know especially it is in Denmark.

It may be a Tesla and in that case 1 cm more is way too much???

Last edited:
I've had my Subaru overfilled by dealership. Nothing ever happened. So now I put the full 5L in it and my Toyota (which takes 4.7L). Can't be stuffed leaving 300ml in the jug. Seems a bit obsessive and dumb to fuss over getting it exactly full in my cars. Just empty the jug into it and done! Allows for a little burn off too.

If the dipstick is 1CM over, then the level in the pan must be 1CM over. The crankshaft won't be anywhere near that close. It will be fine. Plus it's been run for 4000 miles already. All good so long as it's not direct injection and the oil level has risen that much from fuel dilution
lol.gif

It was ok in a 3.5L sump.
I would check oil not discolored 'abnormally' to a darker shade of red/gray though.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I recall a few years back on the "Car Talk" radio show and Tom and Ray were discussing oil overfills and they said that a quarter of an inch on most dipsticks equals a quarter of a quart.

That is old and in no way accurate "advice" from them. Every dipstick I've seen is different. Using their 1/4" reference, given that the 'range' on our Fusion's dipstick is lucky to be 3/8" total, 1/4" "high" seems like it could be 1/2 or 1 quart variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back