Lexus RX400H Oil Consumption 9500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Is diminimous.

This is a new record low for me.

This is in 9500 miles of mixed city and high speed driving consumption of Penzoil Platinum 5w30

105K miles on the car.

Ill measure how far down this really is at oil change time 500 miles from now, but I'm guessing its about a pint or so.

Pretty happy with this performance.

UD

Perfect time to change the pcv valve with an oem unit and run an interval or two of High Mileage oil. Take your pick on which one to run. Probably stick with Pennzoil HM synthetic or Vavoline SynPower with Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Nice. What oil? At 98,000 miles, over 5,000 mi. intervals my Cruze uses zero. Same on the few 7,500 mi. intervals I've done.

PP 5w-30

Sounds really good, but I imagine with such a low profile vehicle the running load on a car like that is quite small.

Usage was effectively undetectable until about 7500 in this case.

I had 2 1K trips up and down the state on the 5 freeway in searing 100+ heat with a mountain climb at the south end and those trips saw the "increased" consumption.

UD

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Perfect time to change the pcv valve with an oem unit and run an interval or two of High Mileage oil. Take your pick on which one to run. Probably stick with Pennzoil HM synthetic or Vavoline SynPower with Maxlife.

I'm unsure why I would want to change anything.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I'm unsure why I would want to change anything.

UD

+1

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
That dipstick is easy to read.

Yes and no,

Between the 2 holes is easy, but there is a barely perceptible line in the metal under the top hole. (where I drew the top red line)

This is the oil level where the recommended factory fill amount ends up.

Yeah Justin, Im thinking about the same.

UD

That's very good for almost 10k miles! Wish my Kluger would only use that much. I definitely wouldn't change anything either. I'd try high mileage stuff if it used that much in 1000 miles.

Last edited:
Thats 1/4 to a 1/2 quart max. If this is the first time you see this and have run pennz 5w30 previous 2 changes, I would swap the PCV valve. It might be the only thing causing the very slight usage. Yes its barely anything over the 9500 mile run but still..if you have never swapped the PCV, its a cheap thing. If you choose not too, so be it. Still barely anything.

I hope our new (to us) Camry burns oil at a similar rate. This is great in my opinion.
I just checked our Prizm today, and after 2k it has burned no oil. We might have one of the few non-oil burning 1ZZs on the road. Not sure I could stand it if it burned as much as some other 1ZZs and 2AZs

Very nice. I wonder how many engine miles were actually accrued since its a hybrid. Less idling is a plus too...

My fords dipstick is same color as dirty oil.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Very nice. I wonder how many engine miles were actually accrued since its a hybrid. Less idling is a plus too...

Probably something close to 95% of them, but thats definitely a factor in why the oil likely still has a lot of life left in it and is still gold.

UD

OP, would you share your experience with the Lexus Hybrid system? I have a '14 non-hybrid and wonder if an upgrade would be worth it when the time comes in a year or two and I can find another one off-lease or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back