thoughts on a KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a new or slightly used car thinking Avalon, but the KIA Cadenza looks good. JD Powers gives KIA a good rating anyone have a long term history, above 150,000, with their cars and want to share their thoughts.

For a used car, I'd look up the specific model's reliability, JD powers brand rating is only useful to guess how well a new model may be put together.
We are considering a newer used Sorrento and I haven't found too much wrong with them yet.

I'd steer clear, but that's just me. I've read too many articles about Kia early engine failures not being taken care of under warranty.

I know someone who is on their third engine in less than 30,000 miles
whistle.gif

If you're into resale value, go with the Avalon. Other than that, both vehicles are very nice, reliable cars. You won't go wrong with either.

I have a Kia Rondo that's 10 years old and 125,000, runs fine. If you use 5w20 like on the cap you'll need to add some between changes. 5w30, the level hardly moves on the dipstick and none added between changes.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
If the Cadenza comes with the V-6, that eliminates the engine concerns that went with the 4 cylinder Kia/Hyundai models. A friend of mine likes his Cadenza.

Bingo!

Kia/Hyundai have old-school, reliable tech in their flagship vehicles for good reason (reliability).

For that reason alone, I'd go with either the Cadenza or the Azera offering the v6 as they are NOT turbo, nor direct injection. Actually, C&D rates the Cadenza much higher than the Azera, so good choice on the Cadenza

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
If the Cadenza comes with the V-6, that eliminates the engine concerns that went with the 4 cylinder Kia/Hyundai models. A friend of mine likes his Cadenza.

Bingo!

Kia/Hyundai have old-school, reliable tech in their flagship vehicles for good reason (reliability).

For that reason alone, I'd go with either offering a v6 as they are NOT turbo, nor direct injection.
thumbsup2.gif

The V6 is a DI, but has been around for 7 years now in lots of KIA/Hyundai vehicles. The only problems I can find about it are valve deposits, but I don't know if its worse than most DI engines.

I have heard Kia has made big strides towards making world class cars .

But I have no personal experience with them .

Cousin of ours bought a new Kia 4 banger with turbo , earlier in the year . But they have not had it long enough to really know anything long term .

Best of luck , :)
Wyr
God bless

Originally Posted By: Neely97
Had an 04 Serinto, worst car I have ever owned.
Poor mileage and engine took a dump at 60k.

Honda had [censored] cars in the '70s as well, so your point is?

My parents own a MY2014 Kia Sportage, AWD, 6 speed auto, 2.0 CRDi 136hp, DPF fitted. Seems like a tough, robust-made car. But looking closely at details not seen in normal usage, things are bulky. Spare-tire compartment more like a gross octagon, paint job everywhere hidden there's just primer... and even if it's a high trim version with infinity sound system, cruise control, automatic HVAC, sunroof, rear camera and leather seats, generally there's no modern features like electronic power window control for all doors, electric parking brake, OLM or service reminder are missing ... but 3-mode steering wheel assist and TPMS are there ! LOL
And the handsfree key thing sometimes goes "beeeep@ while trying to lock the car and you end up losing 2 minutes trying to figure out what you didn't do correctly

Oh, OK - I found this:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/kia-cadenza-hyundai-azera.html/?a=viewall
Kia Cadenza vs. Hyundai Azera: Buy This, Not That
James Derek Sapienza August 21, 2016

It’s a point that’s becoming tired, but it still bears repeating: This test wouldn’t have been possible 10 years ago. Back then, Hyundai and Kia were still at the beginning of their stratospheric climb to respectability. Today, it isn’t unusual to have buyers cross-shopping these brands against the best Toyota, Honda, Ford, and GM have to offer — in fact, more and more car buyers are every year. Thanks to improvements in reliability, styling, fit-and-finish, and one of the best warranties in the business, the term “South Korean car” is no longer synonymous with “cheap.” At long last, they’re both contenders in almost every segment they compete in, from entry-level sporty cars, to minivans that are way more luxurious than they need to be.

But it’s unfair to paint these two as sister brands. Despite sharing platforms, Hyundai and Kia’s American arms are completely separate, which means that the brands are in as much competition with the other as they are with any other automaker. And now that their entry- and mid-level ranges have been established, both are moving into premium segments. So while the Kia K900 and Hyundai Genesis duke it out against the likes of Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, and each other, the Kia Cadenza and Hyundai Azera take on the full-size sedan segment against the likes of the Toyota Avalon, Chrysler 300, Chevrolet Impala, and Ford Taurus.

Sharing the N-Platform and the same 3.3-liter V6 that pumps out 293 horsepower and 255 pound-feet of torque, these two big sedans more than hold their own against the competition. But how well do they stack up against each other? Styling aside, we find that there’s a world of difference between these two fighting cousins in this week’s installment of Buy This, Not That.

As Hyundai’s lineup moves toward a crisper, restrained look, the Azera is a throwback to the brand’s flowing, creased look popularized by the 2010-’14 midsize Sonata. That’s not to say its styling is out of date; the Azera is mildly refreshed for 2016, and easily holds its own against the Toyota Avalon and Buick Lacrosse in the looks department.

Unlike many of its competitors, the Azera comes with a host of standard features like a backup camera, navigation, blind-spot alert, and cross-traffic alert. Two trims are available: the $34,100 base car and the $39,300 Limited model. Inside, there’s plenty of room up for rear passengers, and high-quality switch gear and appointments up front that work to give it one of the most attractive interiors in the segment. But the Azera’s weak point is the way it drives. Steering is vague at best, and its suspension isn’t exactly the most refined in the segment.

On the other hand, the Kia refined and tuned the N-Platform to make the Cadenza a credible driver’s car. The sedan’s styling is taut and attractive, fully fitting in with Kia’s current styling language (though an all-new Cadenza is on the way for 2017). There’s a bit more range in the Cadenza lineup than in the Azera’s as well. Three trims are offered: the $32,990 base car, the $35,990 Premium, and the $44,090 Limited, which creeps close to K900 territory.

Inside, the Cazenza offers the same cavernous space as the Hyundai, but its tasteful, restrained styling punches well above its weight, and has a distinct European flavor to it — possibly an influence of chief designer Peter Schreyer’s time at Audi. In all, the Kia feels refined, respectable, and well-thought out, and with the next-generation model on the way, it will only get better.

The verdict
Hyundai may be as respectable as any automaker on the market today, but when it comes to full-size sedans, we can’t help but like Kia’s current offering better. Better steering and handling, crisper styling, and more variety in its lineup have made the Cadenza more popular at dealerships (around 7,300 U.S. sales in ’15 versus 5,500 sales for the Azera), and with the all-new, even better-looking ’17 Cadenza hitting dealerships in a matter of weeks, we’d be shocked if Hyundai can play catch up anytime soon with its current car.

But all is not lost. We were impressed with the 2016 Sonata Hybrid, like the brand’s styling direction, and are cautiously optimistic that its new Genesis luxury brand can make some noise in premium segments. Just a decade ago, these two brands weren’t even upstarts. In the decade since, they’ve leap-frogged over that position to go from also-ran to contender, thanks in no small part to a rivalry between the two. As long as that is kept up, Hyundai and Kia’s cars will only get better. Who said a little sibling rivalry was a bad thing?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
How close is this to a Hyundai Genesis?

My brother has one, it has been a fantastic car.

Cadenza and Avalon (and Azera for that matter) are FWD. The Genesis is one step up and RWD.
BTW, the Azera has been discontinued so you may find great deals on that model.

You just want to buy one due to the commercials with the smug looking female prancing past all the chauffeurs of higher class cars to her own Cadenza.She drives off with another smirk to the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back