Consumption issues with Havoline Pro DS 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Has anyone experienced oil consumption issues with Havoline Pro DS 10w30? I bought some of the clearance oil from O'Reilly and used this on the last oil change in my 03 Toyota Matrix. 2800 miles on the oil and I had to add 1/2 qt. This seems strange to me, I have never had to add oil between 5000 mile oil changes since owning the car. It currently has 105,000 miles on it. The two previous oil changes were Cheveron Supreme 5w30 and I had no consumption issues. Since they are manufactured by the same company I would assume the add packs, etc would be similar. I'm not too concerned about it but found it weird. Just wondering if anyone else has witnessed the same thing. I will need to watch my oil level a little closer going forward. I have a 60 qt stash of the 5w/30 Pro DS so the plan is to switch to that and keep using it.

Thanks

Ryan

Last edited:
I recently noticed a half quart of consumption with the 05 Matrix when switching to 10w30 Castrol Edge EP 10w30. This was over 1200 miles. The oil was dark from the start and I contacted Castrol about it. They said to change it out which I did. I may have purchased used motor oil at Walmart. I sent the jug with the left over oil and they are investigating.

In your case I would keep using the Havoline Pro DS. Sometimes it takes a few intervals of a new oil for the consumption to stop. Esp with synthetics and the extra detergents they have. Same thing has been reported with some of the other synthetics, Mobil and Pennzoil namely.

As mentionted, replace the pcv valve with an oem unit. You can order here for a good price shipped:

https://metrotoyotapartsnow.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I recently noticed a half quart of consumption with the 05 Matrix when switching to 10w30 Castrol Edge EP 10w30. This was over 1200 miles. The oil was dark from the start and I contacted Castrol about it. They said to change it out which I did. I may have purchased used motor oil at Walmart. I sent the jug with the left over oil and they are investigating.

In your case I would keep using the Havoline Pro DS. Sometimes it takes a few intervals of a new oil for the consumption to stop. Esp with synthetics and the extra detergents they have. Same thing has been reported with some of the other synthetics, Mobil and Pennzoil namely.

As mentionted, replace the pcv valve with an oem unit. You can order here for a good price shipped:

Thanks for the link! I'll get one ordered.

https://metrotoyotapartsnow.com/

I got like 7 jugs of the O'Reilly clearance ProDS 5W-30 Synthetic and have used some of it in various vehicles, even of higher miles, no consumption issues or any other problems to note, and just like you some of those vehicles were previously running Chevron Supreme from Costco.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: timeau
Check PCV first.

People always say that but what does a bad PCV look like ?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Check PCV first.

grin.gif

PCV is a one way valve.

If you blow in it, it can only pass the air one way.
If air comes out if you blow from both end (one at a tiem), then it is bad.

You can check Youtube and they have a lot of video on how to check PCV.

Last edited:
I've had some oils in the same grade have more consumption. Sometimes it takes a few OCIs and the consumption settles down a bit. If not, back to the previous or something else.

I changed my oil before a long road trip which I just completed with Havoline ProDS 10w30 in a Dodge 2500 with the5.7 Hemi and used a little over a 1/2 qt. The truck never used oil between changes but that was hard running non stop. Over 1000 miles with only fuel stops and food stops. About 3000 miles total.

grin.gif

Most of the time, it's because the spring gets weak or breaks.

I haven't seen a "sludged" PCV valve since the early 90's

If only the nagging Toyota Class Action lawsuits for engine oil burning could go away with a simple PCV valve change. Perhaps the piston rings have finally enameled themselves.

Check PCV first.

grin.gif

I'm with you....

I just replace mine whenever I remember to...Like every couple of years on those days I get in an anal mood. Always makes me feel better for about 10 minutes.

As others have said, if you were using conventional oil and then switched to full synthetic (most brands), you may see some temporary consumption through one or two oil changes. Happened to me with Quaker State Ultimate 5w-30. Nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I'm with you....

I just replace mine whenever I remember to...Like every couple of years on those days I get in an anal mood. Always makes me feel better for about 10 minutes.

LOL!
lol.gif

Check PCV first.
grin.gif

Blow into it from one and from another side. If it clogged from both sides or air comes easily from both sides, then replace it. Rocket science?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back