15k on factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Company fleet car is a 2017 Chevy Equinox 3.6. Nice vehicle and I had the honor of putting the first 300 miles on it back in April. Was in it again today for the first to me since then. It's at 15,000 and the OLM is at 3 percent. Unless the oil was changed (I don't think it was) and the tech failed to reset the OLM, the car still has its factory fill - I assume a solid conventional - in the sump.

Obviously, to get 15k in four months, it's been driven up and down the highway. Still, it seems like a lot of miles on a factory fill. If it were your car would you be concerned about this run somehow affecting the engine's lifespan?

Can you pop the hood and check the oil level? Also how dark is the color of the oil? Thanks!

Sneak a sample a do a uoa
laugh.gif

Failed to mention that I did check it at a fill up today. It was nearly full and still looked good. But not so new that it looked like it had *just* been changed. I've sent an email asking if it's been changed yet. Enquiring BITOGers want to know!

Last edited:
I believe the OLM in these pings at a maximum of 7,500 miles. I couldn't find this documented, but you're likely nearing the end of the second OCI.

Wondered about that but I know my '08 Subsurban has had 5000 highway miles this summer and has me on pace for a 10k+ OCI. Your idea makes sense, but only if they've tweaked the Chevy OLM system downward since 2008.

Just did one on a Jeep Cherokee the other week. This one was bought in Feb. and had 15,xxx in 5 months. The oil changer called me over and showed me the filter, it had factory installed printed on it. This one had the 2.4L in it and calls for 0w20. I asked the owner if it was her first time getting the oil changed to make sure that it hadn't been drained before without changing the filter. She said that she knew that she was over due. I just told her that Jeep says do not go over 10k and left it at that.

Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
the car still has its factory fill - I assume a solid conventional - in the sump.

Probably VERY good Dexos rated stuff

Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
If it were your car would you be concerned about this run somehow affecting the engine's lifespan?

No, Not really.

This. It'll go no longer than 7500 miles under ideal conditions (since 2012). Sounds like it's been changed once before.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
This. It'll go no longer than 7500 miles under ideal conditions (since 2012). Sounds like it's been changed once before.

True. This was posted by MrHorsPwer previously:
#PIP5282A: Engine Oil Life Monitor Operation Calculation - (Sep 30, 2016)
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=196407

It states that GM went to 7,500 miles max on all except the Volt, from model year 2013 to now.
They got really worried about soot from direct injection or something. Something spooked them. Chain wear problems plagued GM, maybe that did it.

Is there a windscreen sticker indicating when the last service was done/next service is due? A stamp in the service book? Really, whether it has or hasn't been changed already, it's still just a fleet car, nobody cares...some of ours go 30,000km between services, doesn't seem to hurt 'em.

My neighbor has a 2016 Nissan Frontier truck. I changed the oil for him for the first time at 22K! I have a thread about it on here. Long story short, the oil was dark and the filter looked fine cut apart, but who knows if there is any lasting problems from it. I now change it for him every 7,500 miles with synthetic supertech.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
My neighbor has a 2016 Nissan Frontier truck. I changed the oil for him for the first time at 22K! I have a thread about it on here. Long story short, the oil was dark and the filter looked fine cut apart, but who knows if there is any lasting problems from it. I now change it for him every 7,500 miles with synthetic supertech.

Would have loved to see a UOA on that!

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: TmanP

True. This was posted by MrHorsPwer previously:
#PIP5282A: Engine Oil Life Monitor Operation Calculation - (Sep 30, 2016)
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=196407

It states that GM went to 7,500 miles max on all except the Volt, from model year 2013 to now.
They got really worried about soot from direct injection or something. Something spooked them. Chain wear problems plagued GM, maybe that did it.

My sister-in-law had to get a complete chain setup replaced (and her OLM reflashed), and they flatly blamed incorrect programming of her OLM. The car sounded like a diesel tractor right after every startup, even if it was hot. I'm sure she's not the only one. I think they've had this issue on a lot of Equinoxes and Traverses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back