Advance Auto battery ordeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I wanted to share what happened a couple of days ago. I had bought and installed a new Advance Auto GOLD battery in my wife's car on May 14, 2014. She just left a few days ago to visit her parents in Ocala, FL (We live in Charlotte, NC.) Passing through Jacksonville, FL, she stopped at her neurologists office for an appointment. When her and my son (13) came out the car wouldn't turn over. My other son (16) had stayed in the car to charge his phone with the ignition in the on position (car not running.) Low and behold, the car wouldn't turn over, just click click click. She called the auto club and they jumped the car. I told her to go straight to the nearest Advance because I felt the capacity of the battery was probably pretty low. We still had most of the pro rated warranty left. When she arrived, they would not honor the warranty, even though she had receipt in hand. They said we don't do pro rated batteries any longer. THey called the store in NC where I bought it and they wouldn't honor it either. I told her to get in the car and drive to her parents (2 hours.) I felt the battery was okay to do that. She just went to a drive through for dinner and didn't turn off the car. Meanwhile, I called the Advance Auto right next to her parents house and spoke to the manager. He said bring it over. He immediately tested then swapped the battery for her (Didn't even charge her anything on the pro rate.) Great guy. I was a bit upset my wife and kids were in that situation and the Advance in Jacksonville and here where we live wouldn't help her out. We paid for that warranty and even had the receipt. I'm just glad the Advance in Belleview, FL did the right thing. Sorry this was long, but I wanted you guys to see it. I know Advance no longer has the warranty over three years, but ours should of still stood no matter what Advance auto we were at.

That was nice of them even though you killed the battery using it in a non specified way?

I used my screwdriver as a chisel and now it doesn't work on screws can I get a new one.

Great they gave u a new one but they really shouldn't have....

That sucks. When I went into AAP looking for a battery recently I passed because they had sealed batteries. I wanted one that could be watered. I ended up with a Duralast Gold. Also, when my sisters battery case cracked on her 2015 duralast gold, AZ swapped it out no question. I expected some fight but I got a fresh battery in no time.

You went past 3 yrs. Most warranties end at the point. The last gold I bought came with a 42 month warranty, the longest I ran across. Many are just 2-3 years. So unless, you had a 42 month warranty, they shouldn't have given you a new battery at 39 months. It the hot summer weather down south, batteries get killed.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
That was nice of them even though you killed the battery using it in a non specified way?

How? If a battery can't do that... it is clearly on it's way out.

If that were me, I'd be calling AAP corporate. No reason why they shouldn't have pro-rated the battery and charged a percentage of the battery cost.

This is why I buy Everstart. Never a question, always a new battery.

Probably the biggest take away from the OPs post.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
We still had most of the pro rated warranty left

Yes, we purchased the battery with a five year warranty. Three year exchange, two year pro-rate. I know they don't offer it anymore. The capacity of the battery was clearly diminished, so that's what the pro rate is for after three years. I think the Advance in Belleview FL did the right thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat

If that were me, I'd be calling AAP corporate. No reason why they shouldn't have pro-rated the battery and charged a percentage of the battery cost.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: redhat

Exactly. They did nothing to "kill the battery in a non-specified way." People sit on cars with the ignition switch in the on position to listen to the radio, etc.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Yes, we purchased the battery with a five year warranty. Three year exchange, two year pro-rate. I know they don't offer it anymore. The capacity of the battery was clearly diminished, so that's what the pro rate is for after three years. I think the Advance in Belleview FL did the right thing.

I agree. If it was sold with the pro-rate at that time, then they needed to honor it under the terms of sale at the time it was sold. Glad they took care of you.

All these part stores are only as good as the person at the counter in these issues.

When it comes to warranties autozone keeps a nationwide database for many years, advance does not. So when they ask for your info for the warranty you might want to give it to them.

Last summer I warrantied an autozone alternator with a lifetime warranty 11 YEARS after I bought it.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
You went past 3 yrs. Most warranties end at the point.

Don't they still do "pro-rated" warranties?
Duralast Gold USED TO BE 3 year FREE exchange, 5 more year pro-rated after that for a total of 8.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond

Last summer I warrantied an autozone alternator with a lifetime warranty 11 YEARS after I bought it.

Hahaha, a couple years ago I did an AZ warranty on a set of "carbon metallic" brake pads for my Ford Ranger... that I bought in 2001! The store manager said "That must be some kind of record"
grin.gif

Sounds to me like there are 2 AAP locations that are not adhering to their own policies.

I used my screwdriver as a chisel and now it doesn't work on screws can I get a new one.

Great they gave u a new one but they really shouldn't have....

That's a foolish statement. I believe NAPA stores do a better job when you have a battery failure under warranty.

Good to hear someone took care of the issue, did their job and went beyond their duties.

I would probably write a formal letter or e-mail to the corporate, stating what happened, and that the other stores (I would find out their numbers to make sure there is no mix up) did not want to fulfill the warranty contract you had every right to exercise,

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Good to hear someone took care of the issue, did their job and went beyond their duties.

I would probably write a formal letter or e-mail to the corporate, stating what happened, and that the other stores (I would find out their numbers to make sure there is no mix up) did not want to fulfill the warranty contract you had every right to exercise,

Definitely. My wife got the information from the manager at the store she got her battery from yesterday. She is writing a letter. By the way, our last name starts with 'Z' and my wifes name is Kris!!!! LOL

Why give the woman with the kids and a dead battery a hard time, twice, but respond immediately and apologetically when the guy just calls?

And what's up with the "We don't do prorated batteries anymore". What did he mean by that? They don't offer prorated warranties anymore? They don't honour the ones remaining anymore? They don't hump them anymore?? It's definitely not a situation to be playing around with people.

Also, remind the kids to use ACC if they want to charge their phones. IGN position consumes more power for no beneficial reason.

When I bought my AAP Gold battery in early 2015, I was told the warranty was three years and that's it. I'll reach the three year mark in about six months. Therefore those two stores mentioned did nothing wrong.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Why give the woman with the kids and a dead battery a hard time, twice, but respond immediately and apologetically when the guy just calls?

And what's up with the "We don't do prorated batteries anymore". What did he mean by that? They don't offer prorated warranties anymore? They don't honour the ones remaining anymore? They don't hump them anymore?? It's definitely not a situation to be playing around with people.

Also, remind the kids to use ACC if they want to charge their phones. IGN position consumes more power for no beneficial reason.
The manual for my 08 Toyota instructs the user to switch to ACC to power a charger. It doesn't say anything about charging a phone being "unauthorized".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back