Sig Sauer P320 will fire if dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Popular Mechanics

Obviously, I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about it.
12.gif

I saw a vid about this the other day. So dropping a pistol on the back of the slide/top of the frame is NOT part of the drop-safe testing? Really?

Apparently a lighter trigger lever (not pull) fixes the issue.

The safety value of a p320 was always curious to me. All of the other polymer, striker fired, DAO style pistols have an actual trigger safety. Glock (and many others) put the "dingy" in the middle that must be depressed to release the trigger... and S&W has the hinge to do the same goal. Absolutely no way to move the trigger rearward without depressing the trigger safety. I wonder how SIG will resolve it.

Sig is solving it by reducing the weight of the trigger itself. Apparently, if dropped just so, the trigger can release the striker without being pressed. So, the fix is lighter parts to reduce the inertia in the trigger mechanism so that the striker won't be released by the impact in a fall. Sig is calling it a "voluntary upgrade". https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sig-sauer-issuing-voluntary-upgrade-p320-pistols/

Interestingly, the P320 version that will be issued as the new Modular Handgun System isn't subject to this problem. The US Army insisted on a manual safety and that prevents this type of discharge.

I've held, and examined closely, but not fired, the P320. It's a very interesting pistol. The steel "chassis" has the serial number and all the fire control parts. Swap out different grip/frames and you get a different fit (a good feature if you're trying to accommodate the various hand sizes of over a million soldiers). The trigger feel was good (though, again, I've not fired it) and I greatly prefer it to the DA/SA of the M11 or M9 service pistols. I've qualified many times with both of those weapons (getting a 239 out of a possible 240 on my first time with the M11, which is a fine weapon) and while I'm used to this type of action, that 12+ lb pull on the first round is a PITA and detrimental to accuracy. I think that all of our service folks will benefit from the better trigger on this MHS/P320 pistol.

I liked the P320 enough to consider buying one. The modular nature makes it very versatile - change up the grip size or capacity for different shooters or uses. I was able to swap out the chassis very easily. It's a field-strip with one extra step and you've got the "action" in your hand. You could, with a bit of practice, swap out frames in less than 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99

What's wrong with a Glock or S&W MP?

Why pick one of the most tested (probably reliable) pistol in the world when you can pick something else and then retro fit it. And bear in mind this firearm will mainly be used by the type of troops that use it less (good thing). Special forces have already selected the G-19.

Oh wait its "modular" so it only costs about 4 times the price of the G-19

These say it all:
https://sofrep.com/53591/socom-adopts-glock-19-will-big-army-follow/
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/10/19/glock-woos-marine-and-army-spec-ops-is-dod-next.html

Last edited:
My uncle who is a Viet Nam veteran and very gun savvy had an accidental discharge with a new to him Sig P320 as well. We had looked at it together just hours before, something was wrong with it in the way it was cycling and it was fighting going back together but we could not for the life of us figure out was wrong.

He had the discharge a few hours later don't know the details on that exactly.

On the other hand my partner had had a P320 before much of anyone had even really taken notice of them and it's a real shooter, I can shoot it almost as accurately as a 1911.

My Sig P938 is a favorite, but it's been problematic. Build quality is great, it's a very aesthetically pleasing gun and it shoots well. It has been plagued by DESIGN problems though (springs, latches, guide rods, stupid screw issues) I wonder if the P320 is experiencing the same types of issues.

This was on another forum I thought it was kinda funny.

Originally Posted By: Al
Why pick one of the most tested (probably reliable) pistol in the world when you can pick something else and then retro fit it. And bear in mind this firearm will mainly be used by the type of troops that use it less (good thing). Special forces have already selected the G-19.

These say it all:
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/10/19/glock-woos-marine-and-army-spec-ops-is-dod-next.html

It's almost comical, isn't it?

Glock is dancing a little dance with this bad PR over at Sig.

Glock is also releasing the Gen 5 Glock 17/19 in the next few months to civilian sales.

I really like the P320, but I held off because I KNEW it was really early in its design and there would be upgrades needed. Looked like I was right in my assumption. I guarantee that the military finds a few flaws that will need to be rectified.

The best way to test a gun is to issue it to 100,000 US Army soldiers. And wait. And see what happens. Grunts would find a way to break an anvil, requiring a redesign.

It's one thing to have to tweak a new design here or there, in order to achieve better performance, and or reliability. But a major arms manufacturer like Sig should be able to deliver a SAFE weapon right out of the starting gate. Having a pistol that won't fire if dropped doesn't seem like too daunting of a task to undertake.

I shot a lot of pistols before buying a S&W MP. The Sig was too complicated for me. Too many levers. The Glock and MP are very simple. Pull the trigger and it goes bang. Don't pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang. I can handle that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Leo99

What's wrong with a Glock or S&W MP?

These say it all:

Ive long wondered about the M&P. Seems like an ideal situation of a long standing American brand providing a quality product. The M&P has a thumb safety, no? US design by US company?

I'm a big fan of sig guns (love the 226 and 229), its just interesting to me that US pistols haven't been competitive in 100 years for major acquisition ( the S&W and Colt M1917 revolvers being what comes to mind).... perhaps that's inaccurate?

If anyone is interested, watch the movie pentagon wars if you haven't, it's supposed to be a comedy but ironically it's also so true. Always behind schedule and over budget, that's the motto of military acquisition, and who cares if it ends up doing what they needed it to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back