PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Within reason, thicker oil generally seals better and maintains a better film of lubrication between moving parts."
I like this quote from PM.
01.gif

Quote:
Also, if the oil is too thick the engine requires more energy to turn the crankshaft, which is partly submerged in a bath of oil.

O RLY?

36.gif

On the big locomotives, when they are shut down, generally the crankshaft is partially submerged in oil. When it is really cold, -10 to -20F., you can hear the crank slapping the oil on start.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
On the big locomotives, when they are shut down, generally the crankshaft is partially submerged in oil. When it is really cold, -10 to -20F., you can hear the crank slapping the oil on start.

I guess this is the "passenger car" section!

crackmeup2.gif

Quote:
Viscosity (a fluid's resistance to flow) is rated at 0° F (represented by the number preceding the "W" [for Winter]) and at 212° F (represented by the second number in the viscosity designation).

Ummm...nope, one should check the current edition of J300 to see WHAT the current W ratings are, but that's not it.

Locomotives don't have anti-freeze in their cooling system and have SAE 40 in the sump, so how do you start a locomotive at -20F? Which locomotives are you referring to, EMDs or GEs? I wonder how far the crank is from the oil level when the engine is not running?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

And who doesn't drive a locomotive

Unfortunately in the U.S., EMD can't sell the 710 in a locomotive as of 2015, because of Tier 4 emission standards. They now have a 12 cylinder version of the H engine from the 90MAC in the 70ACe T4.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Locomotives don't have anti-freeze in their cooling system and have SAE 40 in the sump, so how do you start a locomotive at -20F? Which locomotives are you referring to, EMDs or GEs? I wonder how far the crank is from the oil level when the engine is not running?
If it has been sitting, the water is dumped. You fill it up with hot water and start. There was this a switcher (GP40) that had been sitting for a week in real cold weather. It was in the minus teens. I sprayed the engine with hot water for an hour to get it warmed up. I was a solid sheet of ice. The EMD two strokes and the GE FDL engines are the crank in the oil engines. The GE EVO's cranks are higher up from the oil. If you are familiar with the engine, you know where on the crank to fill it when changing oil, without looking on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Ummm...nope, one should check the current edition of J300 to see WHAT the current W ratings are, but that's not it.

They had a better article sometime after the SN rollout. They were parroting what Pennzoil told them, which didn't louse up the basics like that. Nonethless, PM is simply a printed infomercial these days, so I got rid of it a couple years ago.

When they did an RV comparo and said to find out the features of the vehicles to call the OEM to find the closest dealer, I threw in the towel.

I preferred Pop Sci, with Hey Smokey..he's still one of my role models, and although the new Cars movie messed him up a bit, was still happy with the recognition.

PM was delivering flying cars every year, year in year out IIRC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back