Wonder where all those VW buyback cars go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thankyou2.gif
57.gif
15.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Seems like a waste to me..

"destruction or repair as part of the German manufacturer’s diesel emissions scandal."

I hope they don't destroy them.... that would be a huge waste.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Nice. It was awful when mitsu left !

I had heard rumors that drugs and alcohol were a big problem at that plant. It's a problem in any workplace but they had more than their share. Looks like Rivian is trying to make a go of the place. Hate to see places like that closed.

I'm curious how much VW pays in logistics to ship these vehicles? This must be just one of many sites. It can't be the only one?

There is a huge lot of thousands of them just south of Colorado Springs at the old Pikes Peak International Raceway facility.

Kind of a tangent, but the article mentions that this is ultimately going to be a location for production of electric vehicles.. made me think..

.. Would there be a market for a company that makes electric power plants to retrofit into these 'destroy or repair' vehicles and actually make them 'better' than new...?

Just something that popped into mind.

Interesting thought. But my understanding is that these are all buyback cars. So some of them could be years old and tons mile on them. Beat up and dirty.

The buyback has already been written off. I don't think any of those cars will ever see the road again.

My bet is they will ship them to Africa. At least some. Lot of European vehicles go to Africa after use in EU.

But what crossed my mind now about the VW's emission scandal in U.S. is that OEMs are subjected to an unreasonable emissions limits (which is fine by me), yet final users are free to delete all emission devices without consequences. Double standards?

Originally Posted By: chrisri
My bet is they will ship them to Africa. At least some. Lot of European vehicles go to Africa after use in EU.

But what crossed my mind now about the VW's emission scandal in U.S. is that OEMs are subjected to an unreasonable emissions limits (which is fine by me), yet final users are free to delete all emission devices without consequences. Double standards?

It's illegal for owners to remove or disable any emissions device in all 50 states (even areas that don't have emissions testing), and owners can and do get fined for it, although most get away with it. The problem is how do you enforce it?

OneEyeJack: Is that video (specifically its title) supposed to be for real? As usual, nearly 3 minutes of vid to show me a 10 second operation.

Also, I "always heard" that bunches of our old cars go to South America. AS usual, no supporting data.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
There is a huge lot of thousands of them just south of Colorado Springs at the old Pikes Peak International Raceway facility.

Thanks!
I was wondering why all those vehicles were being staged there.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Nice. It was awful when mitsu left !

I had heard rumors that drugs and alcohol were a big problem at that plant. It's a problem in any workplace but they had more than their share. Looks like Rivian is trying to make a go of the place. Hate to see places like that closed.

I'm curious how much VW pays in logistics to ship these vehicles? This must be just one of many sites. It can't be the only one?

DRUGS.

The reason America will never be great again.

When I was looking at new Volkswagens there was a woman at the dealership doing the buyback programs for the VWs and I got talking to her and asked her what they were doing with all the buyback cars. She told me they were going to South American and being sold as " Re-titled or Scrap cars depending on the years and mileage. She said the dealership was hauling them straight to the Port to be shipped.

Last edited:
Sounds like each state has a designated 'place' for those cars to be parked until each one is analyzed whether it will be crushed or repaired. Several from here in MN have been repaired and resold to a VW dealer, then resold to the public. The public cannot buy from these storage lots. It has to go back through a dealer, probably PCA reasoning. Here is the MN story, its impressive seeing the car transport trucks coming and going into this old paper mill site. The owner of the site is making a mint as he is paid ,"per car, per day" .

VWs VW cars in MN

http://blog.caranddriver.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-vw-diesel-emissions-scandal/

Paradoxically, both the feds and the state of California would prefer that the vast majority of the "fixed" vehicles remain in or return to daily use. Why? Because, once fixed, they will be emissions compliant, and, even fixed, they get excellent fuel economy, thus resulting in fewer total emissions than many, if not most, of the vehicles that consumers might choose as replacement vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back