Oil for Focus RS - Unusual Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info everyone. Again, I want to state I will absolutely be using 5w-50 to maintain warranty.

That said, it sounds like the 5w-50 shears and gets beat up quickly. I don't know how aggressive the oil change light is on the Focus RS, but on my prior ST it would go 10k (I changed much earlier).

Would you recommend a shorter interval on the Motorcraft if I go that route? Is Redline in this weight good for 10k if the indicator light goes that long?

Originally Posted By: Atomic
Thanks for the info everyone. Again, I want to state I will absolutely be using 5w-50 to maintain warranty.

That said, it sounds like the 5w-50 shears and gets beat up quickly. I don't know how aggressive the oil change light is on the Focus RS, but on my prior ST it would go 10k (I changed much earlier).

Would you recommend a shorter interval on the Motorcraft if I go that route? Is Redline in this weight good for 10k if the indicator light goes that long?

"Motorcraft 5w50 shears!" is an internet meme that's been flogged relentlessly as a means of creating fear, uncertainty and doubt about an excellent product that works really well, mostly for the purpose of creating demand for other excellent products that work really well. It's true that Motorcraft 5w50 shears down fairly quickly to a 40 weight viscosity, but it's also true that there's no evidence that the shearing affects its performance or the performance of the engines it's in.

Ford puts this stuff in every sport and racing engine that they make, and the roads (and forums) are NOT littered with broken-down GT, GT500, Boss 302, Mustang GT Track Pack and GT350 engines because of it. So, while the analysis reports indicate that it shears, apparently Ford doesn't think it matters and there isn't a shred of evidence that it makes the slightest difference. This reminds me a bit of the way that Castrol TWS 10w60 sheared in BMW M engines. 300 miles and it was down from 60 to 50. Worked fine for 10,000 miles just the same.

So, use the Motorcraft 5w50 the same as you would any other high quality engine oil - if you'd change it at 1/2 the normal interval, then do that. If you'd normally run the full OLM interval, then do that.

Other than tuning I wonder how different is the Focus RS 2.3 Eco Boost engine than the 2.3 Eco Boost engine they use in the Explorer and Mustang, which spec's 5W-30. Is the use of 5W-50 in that vehicle because of anticipated "enthusiastic" usage of the vehicle? Just curious
grin.gif

Whimsey

You can probably find a good Ford dealer who'll hook you up on a good price if you buy it by the case.

You can get 6 quarts of Castrol Edge 5w-50 with a 20% off digital coupon on Amazon right now, where regular price is $50.87 (and free shipping), so if you tick the coupon box you can get it for only $40.70:
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06250-5W-50-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B0058WKOUQ/

Or you can get 12 quarts of Amalie 5w-50 for $67.72 (and free shipping):
https://www.amazon.com/Amalie-160-75716-56-12PK-5W-50-Elixir-Synthetic/dp/B00C7OQMRM/

Or you can get 6 quarts of Quaker State 5w-50 for $41.06 (and free shipping):
https://www.amazon.com/Quaker-State-550036718-6PK-Durability-Synthetic/dp/B00C43BR2G/

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted By: Trav
No 0w20 fans?
27.gif

DR. Haas would probably recomend him a 0W-20 or 0W-16 hahaha

Without a doubt or the other jamoke putting 0w20 in a BMW M car for track use that specs 10w60.

Red Line would probably be a good choice but it doesn't meet the Ford spec nor any API specs.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Other than tuning I wonder how different is the Focus RS 2.3 Eco Boost engine than the 2.3 Eco Boost engine they use in the Explorer and Mustang, which spec's 5W-30. Is the use of 5W-50 in that vehicle because of anticipated "enthusiastic" usage of the vehicle? Just curious
grin.gif

Whimsey

spiritied driving, and they've cranked the power(and the Boost) up to "11" for the RS.

in the mustang, the 2.3 makes around 310 BHP/320 lb·ft. in the RS, it's 350 BHP/350 lb·ft.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Is the Focus RS fwd or awd?

ALL WHEEL DIGGITY!

AWD, capable of sending up to 70% to the rear, and has a "drift mode" button...
It's the hoon's Hoon.(as far as off the lot factory cars go anyway...)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
grin.gif

Whimsey

spiritied driving, and they've cranked the power(and the Boost) up to "11" for the RS.

in the mustang, the 2.3 makes around 310 BHP/320 lb·ft. in the RS, it's 350 BHP/350 lb·ft.

Thanks! Our Explorer 2.3 EB makes 280 HP and 310 ft.lbs. So I guess it's well under stressed for that engine
grin.gif
. It has more horse power and torque than our 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 V-8. It's not a racer, it's an SUV, but the power is way more than sufficient to comfortably drive this vehicle and still get decent mpg for the size of and weight of the vehicle.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: jaj

"Motorcraft 5w50 shears!" is an internet meme that's been flogged relentlessly as a means of creating fear, uncertainty and doubt about an excellent product that works really well, mostly for the purpose of creating demand for other excellent products that work really well. It's true that Motorcraft 5w50 shears down fairly quickly to a 40 weight viscosity, but it's also true that there's no evidence that the shearing affects its performance or the performance of the engines it's in.

Ford puts this stuff in every sport and racing engine that they make, and the roads (and forums) are NOT littered with broken-down GT, GT500, Boss 302, Mustang GT Track Pack and GT350 engines because of it. So, while the analysis reports indicate that it shears, apparently Ford doesn't think it matters and there isn't a shred of evidence that it makes the slightest difference. This reminds me a bit of the way that Castrol TWS 10w60 sheared in BMW M engines. 300 miles and it was down from 60 to 50. Worked fine for 10,000 miles just the same.

So, use the Motorcraft 5w50 the same as you would any other high quality engine oil - if you'd change it at 1/2 the normal interval, then do that. If you'd normally run the full OLM interval, then do that.

The UOA results that I saw on the MC 5w50 on a prominent Mustang enthusiast site showed that it sheared to a 40-weight within 1000 miles of street use, and to a 30-weight if the car was run in a track day. So if Ford is unconcerned about it shearing that badly, why bother specifying a 50-weight at all?

Get the AMSoil that meets the Ford spec. It will probably shear much less than the MC.

Last edited:
I would use Motorcraft 5W-50 and change it when the oil-change-indicator says it's due. It will do just fine.

I would like to see how a HDEO stands up. Rotella T4 might outperform the 5w-50. It's already set up to deal with soot and has lots of zinc and phos.

If you want to try it PM me. I'll buy the oil and UOA

any oil thats not a group IV PAO or even better group V Ester with a spread that wide is bound to shear quickly as it requires a LOT of fragile viscosity improvers. many oils not carrying certain certifications are not tested as it costs $$$. you can't go wrong with anything Redline sells IMO!!! depending on your temps a 5W may not be needed IMO

Originally Posted By: benjy
any oil thats not a group IV PAO or even better group V Ester with a spread that wide is bound to shear quickly as it requires a LOT of fragile viscosity improvers. many oils not carrying certain certifications are not tested as it costs $$$. you can't go wrong with anything Redline sells IMO!!! depending on your temps a 5W may not be needed IMO

The rotella t4 15-40 has a rep for staying in grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back