13 Tundra tire recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some tire recommendations: my dad has a 2013 Texas Edition 2wd currently with BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain tires that he needs to replace at 45k miles. He pulls a boat on most weekends and a loaded horse trailer occasionally.

His concern is wear; but he also wants a tire that will have no trouble pulling a boat out of the water on a slippery boat ramp. No snow or ice..south Texas. Price isn't really a consideration as he's willing to pay for whatever fits his needs best.
He's considering the Michelin LTX M/S or the BFG KO2s. Any other recommendations?

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Bridgestone. KO2.

End of story.

Which one are you recommending?

I was going to say the KO2, after years of running them in all weather, and on varied terrain, they're great, long wearing, tires...but those All Terrain KO2 are made by BFG...

So, which Bridgestone did you have in mind?

OP - I've got to ask: if cost is unimportant to him in the purchase of tires, and he's willing to pay for whatever fits his needs, then why did he get a 2WD to pull on slippery boat ramps? Surely a 4WD would've been a better choice for that job, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Agreed. He's had the truck since 2013; boat was just purchased last year. He's considered getting a new 4x4 Tundra, but his 2013 is paid for and hauls both the trailer and boat just fine so he can't justify spending the +40k for new truck, hence the need for some good tires.

The best performing tires I've had for wet traction weren't the best in terms of wear. Tire selection is full of compromises.
Example: Something great muddy off road makes for a noisy tire on the freeway; or an Indy tire having no tread for a dry track, but tread
for a wet track and and an even softer compound that wears out silly fast if used on dry pavement.

Both are good tires but have vastly different purposes. Siping of the Michelin LTX will have better slick ramp grip if the ramp is textured concrete. If the ramp has large gnarly texture to it, it could be a toss-up. My buddy borrowed my 2WD 06 to pull his 24' cuddy cabin right out of the water a while back - I had bridgestone LE2s at the time and they walked right up the ramp with zero drama.

The ride quality and noise level will be better with the LTX.

A lot of folks around here really like the standard Firestone Destination AT. They last a long time, they pull well and can handle campground towing (ie, the challenge of backing a heavy trailer up an incline over campsite roads which are usually wet, covered in debris like small rocks and leaves, etc., yet are nicely mannered on road. I personally prefer a mild AT for towing around here and currently run Bridgestone Revo2s. Cooper RTX served me well but developed some noise and mild cupping early on.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Co worker just installed some Cooper Discoverer ATPs on his 2015 Tundra and likes them a lot.
He's got about 5k miles on them and they seem to be wearing well.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-ATP.aspx

Those are excellent tires for all around use. A buddy had them on his F-250 and loved them. They don't come in the right size for my Tundra but it depends on what size the '13 Tundra has...there are several options, 17", 18" and 20".

I meant BF Goodrich. Tire dyslexia I guess.

All around grip, quiet on the road and fairly long wearing. Within the limitations of an off road capable tire.

What size does he need?
smile.gif

I'd STRONGLY recommend Michelin LTX M/S tires for your Father's truck. I'm 10 months into my ownership on a set and about 10,500 miles in so far. You can see my 10,000 mile review HERE . Additionally my neighbor back in Michigan runs them on his Tundra and is on track to get 70,000 miles on his set and he primarily uses his truck to tow his Airstream.

I can't say enough good things about the Michelin tires. By far the best tires I've ever owned on a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back