Rebuilt rear calipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was trouble shooting some brake noise problems this past weekend and determined that the rear caliper was frozen and needed to be replaced. Ordinarily I like to plan my repairs and order parts online. In this situation I was stuck buying the part local. I ended up going with a rebuilt unit from NAPA. However I have AA and AZ available too. Just wondering where to go next time.

If you got them at Napa, I hope you got the Total Eclipse calipers, with the black coating to help stop the rust. Most reman calipers are in fact rebuilt by Cardone, but not all of them are coated. I don't think AAP or AZ offer coated calipers, so Napa remains the best out of those three.

Napa Eclispe and Cardone Ultra are the best reman calipers since they have the anti-rust coating. Actually, the Napa Eclipse is the same as Cardone Ultra, except the coating is black instead of silver color used on Cardone-branded Ultras.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If you got them at Napa, I hope you got the Total Eclipse calipers, with the black coating to help stop the rust. Most reman calipers are in fact rebuilt by Cardone, but not all of them are coated. I don't think AAP or AZ offer coated calipers, so Napa remains the best out of those three.

Napa Eclispe and Cardone Ultra are the best reman calipers since they have the anti-rust coating. Actually, the Napa Eclipse is the same as Cardone Ultra, except the coating is black instead of silver color used on Cardone-branded Ultras.

They were the eclipse - however I expect then to be fully rusted by next spring as I'm in the salt belt

You may want to look at the new line of Raybestos new calipers at Rock Auto, they are cheaper in many cases than rebuilds and no core.

I was thinking of those but they were not available locally for my application. I've seen them on RockAuto but I don't want to order one and have it sit around till I need it. That is the crux of my problem. I would like to mail order for cost but I don't want to tie up a lot of money in inventory of parts that I may never use.

Originally Posted By: greasegunn
They were the eclipse - however I expect then to be fully rusted by next spring as I'm in the salt belt

non-coated calipers rust overnight
banana2.gif

So making it until next spring will be a HUGE upgrade
smile.gif

Heh, I get a cheap thrill out of popping the piston out, taking everything apart, cleaning the rust off the caliper around the top of the bore and shining up the piston ,boot. Put it all back together. I'm still using a tube of Sil-Glyde I bought 10 yrs ago.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Heh, I get a cheap thrill out of popping the piston out, taking everything apart, cleaning the rust off the caliper around the top of the bore and shining up the piston ,boot. Put it all back together. I'm still using a tube of Sil-Glyde I bought 10 yrs ago.

So do I. I rebuilt a front and kept it as a spare since the core value was so low and it fits three vehicles that I maintain. Rebuilding the rears is a much more difficult task due to the parking brake mechanism and I did not want to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back