Another door gasket thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been having some troubles with the lower weather stripping on my F150. Seems to be wearing through the paint on my doors! This isn't the epdm gasket itself but its like a rubber lip or flap. I assume to keep water and wind out of the door jamb. I've repainted them about yearly, and last year really did it right with a little sanding and multiple IPA wipes followed by acetone then primed and topped with touch up paint. Lasted better than before, but still wears through to the metal which results in rust formation (just surface rust, I keep on top of it). No issues with paint flaking/peeling, its pretty clearly a wear problem.

So this year, of course I'm repeating the process. But is there anything I can do besides painting yearly? Doors seem well aligned with tight hinges and latches. I try to keep the seal as clean as possible and well treated with silicone dressing. Would switching to a wax or even one of those special epdm dressings like gummi pflege or 303 help? What about removing the seal?

Get some cut-to-size 3M clear film, like they use for the invisible bra's on cars. Easy to apply and it should resist any wear from that seal.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Get some cut-to-size 3M clear film, like they use for the invisible bra's on cars. Easy to apply and it should resist any wear from that seal.

Awesome idea! There are some metal to metal contacts in the trunk of my car after a fender bender that I was puzzling for years on how to easily fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back