Civic @ 172,000 on Mobil Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Civic172000a.jpg

Civic172000b.jpg

See: Civic @ 100,000 for 72,000 miles ago.

Was time for a major service. Had a slight leak into spark plug tube #1 so I figured I’d go ahead and check the valves while I was in there. (all fine)

Oil changed (0/20AP and a genuine 20,000 Ultra)
Transmission flushed (4 drain and fills per Honda Service news procedure DW1)
Coolant changed (Honda Type 2)
PS fluid changed (Honda PSF)
Tires ordered. (Premier A/S)

She looks simply marvelous - really good job right there ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
DuckRyder, still 7500 mile OCI's?

I’ve been stretching them closer to 10,000 and either running a Honda filter for one OCI or a Ultra for two.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
... Have you always used Mobil 1 0W20?

From about 30,000 on it has been M1 5/20 (mostly) or 0/20 with only a couple of exceptions (5/30). For the first 30,000 it was Mobil Clean 5000 5/20 (which was a blend IIRC) and either a Honda or Purolator filter.

Last edited:
Very clean. I'd give anything to see those piston ringlands.

What do you use to clean the outside of the engine? Simple Green or something?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
... What do you use to clean the outside of the engine? Simple Green or something?

I don’t clean it very often, but either simple green HD (the aluminum safe purple stuff) or gunk foamy. Then I wipe the plastic down with Honda spray cleaner.

Have you noticed any difference in engine performance in 0W20 vs 5W20 vs 5W30?

No. The car was originally speced for 5/20, was back speced to 0/20 and of course earlier models were speced for 5/30. The car doesn’t seem to care, but I think I will stick with what is recommended by Honda.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
... What do you use to clean the outside of the engine? Simple Green or something?

I don’t clean it very often, but either simple green HD (the aluminum safe purple stuff) or gunk foamy. Then I wipe the plastic down with Honda spray cleaner.

Have you noticed any difference in engine performance in 0W20 vs 5W20 vs 5W30?

No. The car was originally speced for 5/20, was back speced to 0/20 and of course earlier models were speced for 5/30. The car doesn’t seem to care, but I think I will stick with what is recommended by Honda.

Just out of curiosity, did they ever give a reason for the back spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back