Double blinded VOA study of muscle car oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just received the oil analysis reports on 10 different "muscle car" oils blindly analyzed by three different labs. Getting started on my analysis of the findings, but I can already tell you there are going to be some big surprises and some disappointments. Stay tuned. I hope to be done in a couple of weeks. The results will be posted here.

Why do I see a red flag being raised with this post?
35.gif

How is your study double blinded? Did the people driving the cars not know what kind of oil was put in it?

How were the engine and driving conditions normalized for all the oils?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
How is your study double blinded? Did the people driving the cars not know what kind of oil was put in it?

OP said VOA. Virgin oil analysis.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

Gotcha. So, who is the OP blinded to which oils are which? Or are we just using "double blinded" in a colloquial way?

Why only give the results after your analysis of the lab results? It should be pretty simple, list each oil in a row with all three labs' results in columns... let the data do the talking, which is what VOAs should do.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

Gotcha. So, who is the OP blinded to which oils are which? Or are we just using "double blinded" in a colloquial way?

I have a feeling that you and possibly others here are misinterpreting OP's words.

OP said:

Originally Posted By: txchief
[...]oil analysis reports on 10 different "muscle car" oils blindly analyzed by three different labs[...]

Now, I could be wrong, but to me, that means this:

"I gave oil samples from 10 different oils to 3 different labs without telling the labs that 2 other labs would also be analyzing the 10 oil samples."

That makes the most sense to me. Of course, English was always my favorite subject in high school and college, despite having a B.S. in Computer Science.

This isn't a "double-blind" study. That means the subject of an experiment doesn't know what thing they are getting, and the experimenter doesn't know what thing they are giving. This a a blind study, just single, not double.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
This isn't a "double-blind" study. That means the subject of an experiment doesn't know what thing they are getting, and the experimenter doesn't know what thing they are giving. This a a blind study, just single, not double.

Which just supports exactly what I said. The 3 labs don't know 2 other labs are analyzing the same 10 oil samples.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Except if the labs don't know what oil they are analyzing ?

Right, so this a blind study, not "double".
It would be double if the person mailing the sample out to the labs didn't know what oil they were mailing, which would be ridiculous & useless in this experiment. Scientists only use "double" blind methods when the person giving a treatment or drug or conducting the experiment could possibly introduce bias, and in this case, just mailing in a sample doesn't introduce any bias.

Oh my gosh...

They KNOW what oil they're testing. They DON'T know 2 other labs are going to be testing the same oil samples to have the results from all 3 labs compared.

It's not difficult to understand this from the OP.

Thank you mr obvious...

By "blindly analyzed" from the op you can also understand the labs didn't know what type of oil they were analyzing. Of course each lab doesn't know others labs are also analyzing the same sample!

But anyway, without results I don't see the point of this thread, except teasing.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Right, so this a blind study, not "double".
It would be double if the person mailing the sample out to the labs didn't know what oil they were mailing, which would be ridiculous & useless in this experiment. Scientists only use "double" blind methods when the person giving a treatment or drug or conducting the experiment could possibly introduce bias, and in this case, just mailing in a sample doesn't introduce any bias.

The person analyzing the data should be blinded should not know what oil is which to eliminate any bias. They should analyze the data blindly and a 3rd disinterested party should unblind the study after all the data is analayzed. Well, that's how we roll with drug studies. Maybe this study doesn't require such a strenuous level of unbias.

The 3rd party has a secret key. A=Mobil 1, B=PYB, etc. The labs and data cruncher only know A, B, C...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back