Walnuts Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will have a bumper crop this year- trees are to the ground now.
Instead of letting them rot this year I plan to harvest them.
Anybody else into these?

I haven't did anything with them for years.

Even the squirrels can't clean them all up.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
My dog eats em. Whole. He puked one up once.

That's gotta hurt coming out the other end.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
My dog eats em. Whole. He puked one up once.

Yeah they have a nice oil stain taste when half green- Yuck!

Good thing I had lunch a few hours ago. Went to the Chimese buffet.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Good thing I had lunch a few hours ago. Went to the Chimese buffet.
smile.gif

LMAO........................... Gulp!

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Yeah they have a nice oil stain taste when half green- Yuck!

Alternate Eastern-European/European recipe: (confiture/jam)

You take the half done ones,
cut the green peel off,
cut the rest into halfs/quarters/eights,
dump them in a pot with lid,
water,
sugar/brown sugar/honey/maple syrup,
turn on fire/medium
start the boil,
mix from time to time,
put some lemon peel (flavour),
stop when the cold syrup is 80W90/stop-leak consistency

It is strange but flavorful and the "bitterness"/green monster taste is gone...

Last edited:
you dry them,
clean them from the peel (DO NOT LET THEM GO MOLDY!)
break shell
heat a cast iron
throw them in theere
do not burn them

let cool

use in home-made/organic fudge

Now go bring some wipes for your keyboard.
Did your mouth watered?

Last edited:
I'm driving thru DE tomorrow.... near Elkton/Cecil County... will pick up your excess
smile.gif

They make a walnut harvester that looks like a Fisher-Price toy. This gizmo is a wire ball that is pushed by a stick and when this "ball" rolls over the walnuts, they get pushed into the ball for you to take them out later. My mom has one, but not sure where she got it. It does save you a lot of time.

Wow...I love walnuts. Goes great with chocolate.

I also love the wood. Makes beautiful furniture. I have a small piece of black walnut taken off some family property years ago. Sure wish I could have gotten more of it!

Used to know someone who was on a low fixed income renting out a room in a rundown small home. Nearby was a walnut crop and the folks let him go in to take lots of walnuts. When it was in season he spent most of his day, day after day collecting buckets of walnuts. He would have rows and stacks of walnuts in buckets. He would process them and sold various size bags of walnuts. Would have lawn bags of the shells he used himself for adding into the fireplace, probably wood stove to. He sure spent a lot of hours on walnuts to supplement his fixed income. Seemed happy to have income supplement he could accomplish himself right at home - didn't have a vehicle. One of the good ol boys.

When I was a tot, my grandmother used to fill up her stanless steel sink and we would crack some walnuts in half, clean them out and put lit birthday candles in the middle using the hot wax to secure them. We'd have an entire flotilla of the walnut navy; exciting when you're a kid and one turns out the lights.

You would be my man. After several years of family issues here ( health) I'm ready to get back into the shop.
I'm building a new one to one duplicator as all of the big named machines are gone and a manual machine is needed for the custom jobs. I'm a few months away from getting geared up. I have over 6000 stock blanks here and some other lumber. A couple shop cleaning pics........
All of this is Missouri walnut, Turkish, and very little Claro
The bottom is all MO. Walnut. Hard to get this stuff!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Wow...I love walnuts. Goes great with chocolate.

I also love the wood. Makes beautiful furniture. I have a small piece of black walnut taken off some family property years ago. Sure wish I could have gotten more of it!

Wow...you've got me slobbering at your stacks upon stacks of wood!
20.gif

And those gun stocks are beautiful! No doubt made with your own hands! Incredible....it would be a great pleasure to fire one of your custom air-rifles.

Here we mostly have pecans. Great nuts. Great smoking wood. So-so furniture wood though. Not stable enough for big pieces. Tends to get 'punky' too if not properly dried.

Thank you Sir!
In years gone by you used to hear about Texas Walnut. Big in the gun mags back in the 50-60's
Very hard to acquire though. It had a rather unique look to it. I sort of gave up getting it in volume. Some of the best comes from Oklahoma and Missouri..

Wow...I'm impressed at that wood.

(have you got any pics of your custom guns - means that I've probably missed them in the past)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back