New Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure is! I bought the car when it was 5 and the OE battery was replaced at 3 yrs, I never changed it.
This is the best part, the car is always parked Nov-April or May, I never used any sort of maintainer, never charged it even though it sees less than 1K a year now, the only thing I did was lock the car with a key not the button when I stored it so the alarm didn't arm, that's it. I put 20K on it in 12 years and it never failed to start in all those years. It made it back from Boston yesterday being started multiple times and died peacefully at home when I went to go out last night. LOL

Originally Posted By: Trav
It sure is! I bought the car when it was 5 and the OE battery was replaced at 3 yrs, I never changed it.
This is the best part, the car is always parked Nov-April or May, I never used any sort of maintainer, never charged it even though it sees less than 1K a year now, the only thing I did was lock the car with a key not the button when I stored it so the alarm didn't arm, that's it. I put 20K on it in 12 years and it never failed to start in all those years. It made it back from Boston yesterday being started multiple times and died peacefully at home when I went to go out last night. LOL

Peaceful deaths at home for batteries are always best.

His beat my old Diehard by a year. In over 40 years of car ownership Diehard Gold batteries have been hands down the best batteries I've ever owned. My son has our 2000 Century and the Diehard Gold in there is over 10 years old now, and going strong.

1) Your battery is a G-78. I looked up mine and it said I too take a G-78. My car takes an H6 (G-48). Yayy Sears
2) D'ya think the discount code would work for other people?
3) Given Trav's and dermapaint's posts, I'm going with Sears next time!

The discount code should work for you Kira, I got it on line last night.

Edit: That's why I posted the code I used.

Last edited:
14 years is amazing life for a car battery, especially with nothing really special in the way of maintenance and sitting months on end. $87 for the replacement is pretty good these days too.

I dont think that three year warranty will be there in case you need it.... just saying. I'll think Sears will rake in the Christmas sales and start bankruptcy proceedings by the second quarter of next year.

As to a 14 year old battery, I would be a nervous wreck with that time bomb. I would have swapped it out at least 3 times in that time frame.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I dont think that three year warranty will be there in case you need it.... just saying. I'll think Sears will rake in the Christmas sales and start bankruptcy proceedings by the second quarter of next year.

The DieHard brand isn't going anywhere.

Worse case, It would likely be sold like Craftsman and warranties will still be honored.

That's super impressive. My Liberty used to go through Diehard Golds every 2.5-3 years. Got an East-Penn AGM in it now.

Most chemical reactions slow down at a rate of half as fast for every decrease of 10 Degree C (18 Degree F) and because of this if the average ambient temperature is much lower you can expect a battery to last longer.

The original poster lives in Massachusetts where the average ambient temperature is much lower than places like Arizona and Texas, and you can expect batteries that are exposed to the ambient temperatures like Massachusetts has to last much longer than batteries that are exposed to ambient temperatures that exist in places like Arizona and Texas.

Last edited:
They are a great battery the next oldest on I have is 10 and the others 7, 5 and 3 yrs old. I have to believe this one must have been helped along by a perfect alternator and charging circuit. Not so much current that it heats the battery but just enough to keep it in good order.
The only other batteries that I have had that come close to EP/Deka produced brands in longevity are the Varta and Panasonic. One Panasonic was amazing, OE 1995 in a Toyota went to the junk yard in 2014 with its original battery still working okay. I removed a 17 yr old functioning Varta from a MB diesel.

One thing all these batteries had in common was is there was never any sort of crusty terminal corrosion on them, all had lower power alternators and not a lot of power accessories. Lot of food for thought there.

Out here in Northern California batteries only last 4-5 years with regular use. Motorcycles its even worse more like 2 years tops in V twins closer to 3 with smaller bikes. Simply leaving a battery sitting on my patio will kill it within a few months. Many a worn but not fully tired motorcycle battery has spent its final days powering various 12v things on my patio over the years...I have probably half a dozen that have succumbed.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I put 20K on it in 12 years and it never failed to start in all those years. It made it back from Boston yesterday being started multiple times and died peacefully at home when I went to go out last night. LOL

Sorry for your loss Trav...it brings tears to my eyes.
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: brave sir robin
Out here in Northern California batteries only last 4-5 years with regular use. Motorcycles its even worse more like 2 years tops in V twins closer to 3 with smaller bikes. Simply leaving a battery sitting on my patio will kill it within a few months. Many a worn but not fully tired motorcycle battery has spent its final days powering various 12v things on my patio over the years...I have probably half a dozen that have succumbed.

True. I haven't been able to keep a bike battery going more than 2 or 3 seasons tops either, nature of the beast I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back