To Flip Or Not To Flip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody holding a property looking for a better payout?
It is a gamble.
This area was not hit so hard the last 10 years but still "hit"
House Inventory is down but the prices are still a bit soft.

I have a house I want to sell. Sits vacant. All redone.
Prices are okay but not where they should be presently because its price range is higher than
the local "sweet spot"

I figure it will cost me $9- $10K to keep it another 10-12 months.
That's electric, heating fuel, taxes, and insurance only.
I do the outside upkeep and I have no bank note on it.

Anybody else holding out?
The sale will fund my own house I'm going to build when this goes.
I'm going minimalist after this. Tired of the hassles....

Well, yeah. If you're talking speculation, I thought that was how it is done.

You form a judgment as to where property will be valuable at some point in the future, perhaps the far future, and buy it now while it is cheap. Sometimes you are spectacularly right, sometimes not.

Is there some other way of doing it?

I have held onto property until the numbers just dont make sense. If holding it costs you $12K plus "time and effot" and your return will be right at that spot, time to sell. If there is something significant coming to the area (airport/train/new school/new industry) then holding on may make sense.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Anybody holding a property looking for a better payout?
It is a gamble.
This area was not hit so hard the last 10 years but still "hit"
House Inventory is down but the prices are still a bit soft.

I have a house I want to sell. Sits vacant. All redone.
Prices are okay but not where they should be presently because its price range is higher than
the local "sweet spot"

I figure it will cost me $9- $10K to keep it another 10-12 months.
That's electric, heating fuel, taxes, and insurance only.
I do the outside upkeep and I have no bank note on it.

Anybody else holding out?
The sale will fund my own house I'm going to build when this goes.
I'm going minimalist after this. Tired of the hassles....

There are tax implications if it's now a true investment.

I am putting mine on the market very soon but I am unable to budge much off the asking price, otherwise I will be losing money. If it doesn't sell for what I need it to sell for, I will hold onto it. I live in the house now, so maybe my case is a little different than yours where you're holding onto a vacant property.

Can you rent it? Something is better than nothing. If you can find a good tenant (someone you know, family, co-worker, not some schmo off Craigslist) give them a sweet deal, at least you can keep close to even every year.

I don't know how MD is compared to kalifornia, but around here a redone vacant house is an invitation for squatters. Once they're in it takes months to get rid of them. Sell it or rent it.

Happens all the time here. It's funny when you say prices aren't where they should be. It should be at whatever the market is at. In the long run it will eventually go up, but in the long run we're all dead. Either rent it out and wait for the market to improve or just sell it now. Not sure how you think paying 10k now will net you more than 10k a year from now if the market is still soft. Means you just want more than the property is worth. That will probably be the same next year.

Own a house in southern Virginia, purchased 2007. Still down almost 20% from purchase price. It's rented.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I am putting mine on the market very soon but I am unable to budge much off the asking price, otherwise I will be losing money. If it doesn't sell for what I need it to sell for, I will hold onto it. I live in the house now, so maybe my case is a little different than yours where you're holding onto a vacant property.

I'll never get anywhere near what mine is worth as I put too much in it. That is a given.
I will never rent a house to anyone. Haven't done so and won't unless I was a slumlord. I seen too much of that action.
Good luck with yours. I'll pretty much wait until next year because of tax issues etc. Long story
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
I don't know how MD is compared to kalifornia, but around here a redone vacant house is an invitation for squatters. Once they're in it takes months to get rid of them. Sell it or rent it.

I'm sure that is true but I live next door to this one. Thankfully.

Whatever your outlook you have to consider the Millenials since they're going to be the biggest market moving forwards. Are they likely to move to your area? Move away? There's your future price point.

A good thing would be near a metro area that can catch the spillover either as a wekeend home or bedroom community. I'm assuming your aren't holding urban property. Because right now that's where the youngsters want to be.

Also people talk about being "down" from the 2000s. Down from when? From 2005-2008 there was this massive price bubble thanks to the banksters. Honestly I don't see those prices ever coming back outside of a few very in demand metro areas where supply and demand are out of whack. You can't expect a market to "correct" itself from a malignancy.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister

I dont know how anyone would put up with that. A squatter in my house??!! NOT HAPPENING. They will be gone within 24 hours. I know the cops are reluctant to do anything and will just tell you to evict them, a process that takes months. If that's the case, I'll move in with them. And make their life so bloody miserable they will be begging me to leave within a day. Its illegal for them to move into my house uninvited, but the cops wont do anything, then I will move my happy self right on in too. And we will have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brons2

I thought the Austin, TX housing market was very hot ?

My guess is that prices will stagnate in most areas. The great recession happened almost 10 years ago and we're due for another market "adjustment" if recent history repeats itself.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
My guess is that prices will stagnate in most areas. The great recession happened almost 10 years ago and we're due for another market "adjustment" if recent history repeats itself.

You may want to check out the numbers of available houses for sale...verses those who want to buy. There just isn't enough existing inventory for sale. There will be no adjustment ANYTIME SOON.

There are plenty of articles stating this. The numbers don't lie.

AirgunSavant/OP,
What is the $ difference between the average house on your market and your house?

If much, then just sitting on the MLS, may not be enough, so you may need to contact a realtor specializing in finding the bigger buyers....
Also, how good are your pictures?

Originally Posted By: CKN
You may want to check out the numbers of available houses for sale...verses those who want to buy. There just isn't enough existing inventory for sale.

DING DING DING ^^^ This ^^^

It's all about location (Jobs and schools), not how much money you poured into it.

I'm not sure what would I do if I were you. Is it a home that you would like to live in? or rent to someone at a reasonable amount (i.e. the wear and tear will not lose more money than letting it vacant)?

Depends on your local job market and what kind of jobs they are, it will dictate the price. Around here I heard new college grad makes $120-160k starting salary, and experienced one make $250-300k, so that justify the market price regardless of condition. What's the typical salary in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back