Honda Civics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I am gonna take some advice on this site and start asking about cars I can buy used, one at a time.

First up is the Honda Civic, no particular year in mind, but it will be used and out of warranty, which is fine with me I prefer to do all my own maintenance. I am sure there are loads of you that have Civics, so have they been reliable to you? What kind of replacements have you had to do for parts? Run into any common problems griped about online? Let me know! Right now its mostly down to Civic, Accord, Camry, or Corolla, but I keep coming back to Honda; I dig their reliable engines and looks. Still, who knows what I will decide when the opinions start flowing. We will just stick with the Civic for now, but if you have owned an Accord as well feel free to compare for me.

I think the Civics are too tinny for me and late model 4 cyl. Accords get great mpg....
Plus Civic is spelled the same backwards as forwards. Ain't that spooky enough
smile.gif

You're choosing between different flavors of vanilla. Pick the one you like most.

You'll also end up buying what you like most, regardless of what gets said here.
wink.gif

I know that there were few model years, I think 08-10, someone correct me if I', wrong, that had the porous engine casting problems, I would avoid these, otherwise a pretty solid econobox.

Also, I recall from when I was shopping for a compact, that the 06 and up models had a pretty tight engine compartment, if that matters to you.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I know that there were few model years, I think 08-10, someone correct me if I', wrong, that had the porous engine casting problems, I would avoid these, otherwise a pretty solid econobox.

Also, I recall from when I was shopping for a compact, that the 06 and up models had a pretty tight engine compartment, if that matters to you.

How do you like your Mazda 3? Roomy enough for kids?

Originally Posted By: Bhoppy1216
How do you like your Mazda 3? Roomy enough for kids?

Yes I do like it, but the Civic has more room in the back. Mazda 3 is not bad, but it can get pretty tight in the back, especially if you're around 6ft. tall. I'm 5.9 with more torso than legs, so we do fine. Also, the first gen Mazda 3 has a pretty wide center console and your right knee will be constantly resting on it.
It never bothered me, but it might some.

I love my Accord. Feels huge and heavy (so does my 300ZX),which is what I like. I also go for ergonomics,which my Accord is perfect in that aspect.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I love my Accord. Feels huge and heavy (so does my 300ZX),which is what I like. I also go for ergonomics,which my Accord is perfect in that aspect.

Have you run into any major mechanical issues besides the regular maintenance?

I've only had it a few months but so far none whatsoever. The 2.4 is soooooo smooth and refined. That engine is silent.

The Civic in my sig has been incredibly reliable. I would buy it again in a heartbeat if the occasion arose. I've had it since I bought it used in 2005, with 80,000 miles on it. I don't recall when the last time I had a non-maintenance repair on it, but I know it has been no later than 2013. The only things that have been done on it, from 2014 on up have been tires, brakes, battery, transmission flush--as well as the oil changes and coolant drain that I did.

Last edited:
For driving Honda > Toyota, hands down. Not a question. Camrys are totally incompetent and the Corollas the same just less so because of it's reduced mass. Weak points in the Hondas can be the autos between 1999–2004. They must be regularly serviced! Also front end parts should be checked over. For example, there are twice as many ball joints in a Civic/Accord than Camry/Corolla front end, but it's a superior handling design.

I have had my 02 Civic for a work beater for 30k miles now. I did a head gasket and it needs ball joints now. Engine runs great and tranny has 0 problems. 34.5 mpg.

When it comes to Honda vs. Toyota I feel the Hondas are definitely a bit more fun to drive, especially in a manual.

As far as Civics, they had some issues with blocks cracking on the 06-08. I would find a 2010-2011 to be on the safe side. Also, 2005s seem to suffer from head gasket problems. My sister's 2005 had that issue at about 150k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back