Any reason not to use an Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i buy the 6 pack of Fram Ultra's (XG6607) on Ebay they are basically the same price as my OEM nissan filters I'm using now. Is there any reason not to take that deal? I still wont exceed a 5k oci as I'm under warranty.

Also, have people had decent luck buying these 6 packs on ebay? do they ever come damaged?

I have read of a few people getting dented filters, but contacting the sellers they have all said they either refunded or replaced the bad ones.

As for should you, well, you are using a Premium filter for 1/4 of it's rated life, defeating part of the reason for using it. use it for at least 2 oil changes if you are going to change the oil at 5000 miles.
If you are that worried about warranty and are going to change the filter with the oil, just stick with OEM.

What is the recommended OCI for the vehicle per Nissan? 5000 miles is easy to do with conventional oil and a budget filter.
Mobil 1 and an Ultra is good for at least 10,000 miles for most driving conditions. Seems to be a wast of money to me.

If you will toss a ultra after 5000 miles you are wasting a good filter.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I have read of a few people getting dented filters, but contacting the sellers they have all said they either refunded or replaced the bad ones.

As for should you, well, you are using a Premium filter for 1/4 of it's rated life, defeating part of the reason for using it. use it for at least 2 oil changes if you are going to change the oil at 5000 miles.
If you are that worried about warranty and are going to change the filter with the oil, just stick with OEM.

What is the recommended OCI for the vehicle per Nissan? 5000 miles is easy to do with conventional oil and a budget filter.
Mobil 1 and an Ultra is good for at least 10,000 miles for most driving conditions. Seems to be a wast of money to me.

I had no problem with an EBAY seller replacing a dented filter from a 6 pack deal. I'd buy again from him w/o hesitation.

I bought a 6 pack of fram ultras from ebay for my nissan truck. I will probably only use them for 5k miles also since thats the change interval and I'm under warranty. The kicker is that it breaks down to about $5 a filter. It might be a bit of a waste, but at $5 a filter why not?

Originally Posted By: Bud
If you will toss a ultra after 5000 miles you are wasting a good filter.

Correct!

Sounds like a great deal on a filter that easily goes 15k miles.

As others said - waste of a filter, at that point you should just order Denso filters for $3.30 ea all day long.

My '01 Maxima has 7500 mile OCIs per spec with UOAs coming back with plenty of life left, even on dino. Why are the newer engines requiring shorter OCIs now?

5k OCI is easily doable with an Orange Can and Supertech dino with no ill effects.

I'd just change the oil every 5k miles and keep the filter on for 2 or even 3 oil changes.

That's what I do on my Accord. I've been putting between 16-20k miles on Napa Platinum's between 2 OCI's.

Right now I'm running my first MicroGreen. It's gonna do the same interval.

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus

5k OCI is easily doable with an Orange Can and Supertech dino with no ill effects.

Or a supertech (wix) filter.

Why waste good money early on?

Save the good oil and filters for until after the warranty is over, IMHO....

If a new car suggested 5K oil changes for a warranty, I would buy some other car...
The 1980's called.................

Originally Posted By: JoelB
If i buy the 6 pack of Fram Ultra's (XG6607) on Ebay they are basically the same price as my OEM nissan filters I'm using now. Is there any reason not to take that deal? I still wont exceed a 5k oci as I'm under warranty.

Also, have people had decent luck buying these 6 packs on ebay? do they ever come damaged?
I have bought two 6-packs, on each one I had a filter with a dented dome, the eBay reseller credited them no questions asked. No ancient "Xtended Guard" stock, either. They came out to around $4.50 each on the ones I bought (XG2s & XG14476s). If I HAD to change the filter every 5K due to warranty, I would just use an el cheapo like ST, RK, Microguard, etc.

Last edited:
Use the longer XG7317 if it fits
smile.gif

Go ahead if you can get them for the same price or cheaper. A filter's a filter, regardless if you're wasting it or not who cares? I have an Ultra ready to go on my truck next change and it'll only ever see 7500 miles before it and the oil are changed regardless. For me, they're not expensive enough to justify using more than once and I feel better about having a brand new filter with brand new oil, guess I'm old school! Ha

Isn't there a filtration benefit of the Ultra? Or is it's only perk that it's long lasting? If the price is the same but the Ultra filters better it seems like a no brainer to me to use them, if the OCI is 1k or 20k. Or is my thinking off here?

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/common/2016/2016-nissan-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

OFCI every 5k miles.

IMO - That's a bit overkill in today's world given how clean engines run and how good lube and filters have become.
But I at least understand his mantra given warranty coverage.

Kind of ironic, but the maintenance schedule defines what is to be considered "severe" service, but it does not call out a separate schedule of OFCIs for that "severe" use. It states "Additional maintenance items .... should be performed ...." but does not state what that would be as far as I can tell. (It does talk of the E-85 use, but that's not defined in the "severe" use category, so those would be different considerations).

As for the use of an Ultra for 5k miles; I cringe at such waste. But for $5, it's hard to beat. However there are lessor expensive filters that are more than capable of a 5k mile FCI. So this is a matter of ROI, if you choose to look at it that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JoelB
Isn't there a filtration benefit of the Ultra? Or is it's only perk that it's long lasting? If the price is the same but the Ultra filters better it seems like a no brainer to me to use them, if the OCI is 1k or 20k. Or is my thinking off here?

If you want high efficiency (99+% at 20 or gteater), good flow (ie, low delta-p) and good construction (ie, no worries of failure like torn media) then your thinking is correct.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Use the longer XG7317 if it fits
smile.gif

Why give information that will void the new car warranty? Yes, the longer XG7313 will fit, same specs, BUT read this from Fram about the filter warranty:

FRAM® filter products manufactured or sold by FRAM Group Operations LLC are warranted to their original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval and FRAM® hard parts (filters and hard parts are collectively referred to as,“Products”) are warranted to their original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for one (1) year from the later of the date of purchase or the date of installation. This warranty covers properly installed or utilized Products, installed in vehicles as cataloged by the then applicable FRAM® product catalog

This warranty does not cover any Product that: a) has been subject to misuse, neglect,negligence, accident or casualty; b) has been improperly installed; c) has been installed into an engine which is not referenced as a conforming application by the then applicable FRAM® catalog; or d) has remained in service beyond the original equipment recommended change interval.

So, if you use a filter that is not listed in the filter manufactures catalog, you have no warranty from the filter manufacture,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back