Thinking about a 2017 Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any opinions on the new Jettas? Specifically 1.4T with a manual transmission. I have not drove any of the newer ones. Also curious of the reliability of the newer ones. I'm also looking to fly to the Washington DC area and bringing it back if anyone has any dealership recommendations down that way.

Great cars. I would personally be looking at the 1.8t.

If you have a 2012 Jetta, then you already know all you need to about the new ones.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Great cars. I would personally be looking at the 1.8t.

If you have a 2012 Jetta, then you already know all you need to about the new ones.

Only problem with the 1.8T in the jetta is its over priced. Seems around 24.5K for that. Its cheaper to just go buy a Golf or Passat. Although I also really like both but really just want something cheaper.

Jettas, Passats and the Alltrack are real cheap at Sharett VW in Hagerstown MD (5k+ off), and in the DC area ish, there is Karen Radley VW in Woodbridge VA that usually has amazing prices. Really look around before you buy. Some deals to be taken advantage of out there.

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
Yeah, looked it up, Jettas are cheap! $11,799 I believe their pricing doesn't include the destination charge so keep that in mind.

It's $820 freight for the Jetta. Don't forget the $595 dealer processing fee
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
Jettas, Passats and the Alltrack are real cheap at Sharett VW in Hagerstown MD (5k+ off), and in the DC area ish, there is Karen Radley VW in Woodbridge VA that usually has amazing prices. Really look around before you buy. Some deals to be taken advantage of out there.

How close to those published prices can they REALLY be bought for?

PS: Which model VW (car, not SUV) is their best in your opinion? I'd say the Golf...

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Are you strictly looking for a VW? If not, there are better (and newer) options out there.

Care to enlighten us? I notice your post is lacking any examples.

Seems that a 1.4t Jetta for <$15k is a slamming deal.

Are you strictly looking for a VW? If not, there are better (and newer) options out there.

Seems that a 1.4t Jetta for div>

The person who got that deal knew the general manager. nepotism. it's about who you know, not how much education or even money you have. and $ is supposed to be the scarcest commodity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaRULZ

The person who got that deal knew the general manager. nepotism. it's about who you know, not how much education or even money you have. and $ is supposed to be the scarcest commodity.

Did you miss the link with the cheap new Jettas posted in this thread?

But, you seem to have an axe to grind, so go right ahead.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Anyone have any opinions on the new Jettas? Specifically 1.4T with a manual transmission. I have not drove any of the newer ones. Also curious of the reliability of the newer ones. I'm also looking to fly to the Washington DC area and bringing it back if anyone has any dealership recommendations down that way.

Go for it but test drive one to make sure the power is ok for you. It should be. The reliability factor should increase quite a bit over the 2012 that you currently have. I don't think deals like this will be around forever.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Before you go on the trip to get it, ask the dealer for the out the door price to make sure they don't have ridiculous hidden fees like the requirement of being a college graduate, military vet, etc.

I got my Sonata for a great deal earlier this year but it was 100 miles away, I asked for the OTD price and it was perfect, no gimmicks with it.

But I have gone to other dealers and they have crazy hidden fees.

Although I have no idea about the US prices, I didn't say it is expensive. Sure it is a good deal.

I said there are better and newer options in the market, like the Mazda 3 - Civic or Elantra. You will get more bang for your buck, and all of them have newer platforms. Also, it is the last year of the current gen Jetta, new platform will be released in 2018. So yeah, you get a better deal for an old platform, which will depreciate like a rock in the next few years.

Although I have no idea about the US prices, I didn't say it is expensive. Sure it is a good deal.

I said there are better and newer options in the market, like the Mazda 3 - Civic or Elantra. For example, Elantra has way more features than a Jetta, and you will end up spending less. You will get more bang for your buck, and all of them have newer platforms. Also, it is the last year of the current gen Jetta, new platform will be released in 2018.

Since it looks like you haven't driven one and just assume newer is better, I suggest you try one out. That old platform outperforms most in the segment when it comes to quietness and overall refinement. They also lead when it comes to interior and trunk space. They drive much better than most compact sedans.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

I said there are better and newer options in the market, like the Mazda 3 - Civic or Elantra. For example, Elantra has way more features than a Jetta, and you will end up spending less. You will get more bang for your buck, and all of them have newer platforms. Also, it is the last year of the current gen Jetta, new platform will be released in 2018.

Since it looks like you haven't driven one and just assume newer is better, I suggest you try one out. That old platform outperforms most in the segment when it comes to quietness and overall refinement. They also lead when it comes to interior and trunk space. They drive much better than most compact sedans.

I have driven ALL OF THEM (Mazda 3 GS, Elantra GLS, Civic HB 1.5T Sport and Jetta TDI) sir. I am not sure if they still offer TDI in Jetta, as it was not a test drive(friend of mine's car). Although latest gen Civic has the most powerful engine in the segment, I didn't compare the engines because I haven't driven a Jetta with gas engine.

I think, Civic Mazda 3 and Elantra are the top 3 in the compact segment. I say this because I drove all. I am also looking for a compact sedan/hb. Jetta gets old, feels old, and feels boring. My 0.2c.

Also, if you are looking for a refinement, "plastic quality", then you should buy an S class because the difference in the compact segment is negligible. I am not sure if you have driven all of them, but you should try all of them before saying it "outperforms" most in the segment.

Meh. As a former VW mechanic the entire specter of electrical issues that even the dealer can't solve stays on my mind.

A colleague's 2015 e-Golf spent a couple of weeks in New Jersey at some magic VW place for a problem. The irony of buying an electric car from a company renowned for its electrical problems
smile.gif

But if you like it, and it puts a smile on your face, get it. Life is too short to sweat that stuff, especially at that price point. As others said, beware the dealer games and get the OTD price from the dealership's internet person before walking in if you don't like shenanigans like "losing" your trade in car keys and stuff like that.

I never said it outperforms others in teh segment as an overall package, just driving dynamics, quietness and suspension tuning. I find that Jetta has one of the best compromises between comfort and sportiness.
To some, including me, this type of thing is more important that hard vs soft plastics.

Not if you plan to keep it post warranty.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I never said it outperforms others in teh segment as an overall package, just driving dynamics, quietness and suspension tuning. I find that Jetta has one of the best compromises between comfort and sportiness.
To some, including me, this type of thing is more important that hard vs soft plastics.

I agree that the suspension setup offers a good equilibrium of above average handling as well as decent comfort. I am not saying it is a bad car, I am sure that new generation Jetta will be the benchmark of its class. However, it can't keep up with the competition in terms of driving dynamics (handling and steering feeling), and some features, as it gets old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back