New (Demo) 2017 Sonata Sport 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Not the typical new car oil change inquiry...

This past weekend i acquired a 2017 Sonata Sport 2.4 (traded in Corolla). The car was a demo with 3800 miles of use by the dealership. I've never been a change early guy but not knowing the level of care during those early miles, I'm seriously considering it. If i do, it will be Valvoline Conventional 5w20 for another 3000 miles only because the normal oci recommended in the OM is 7500 miles. This will put me right at that mark, at which point the maintenance plan will be employed.

Would you change early considering the 'demo' miles?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Would you change early considering the 'demo' miles?

Personally, I wouldn't bother, but if it'll help you sleep better at night, go ahead and get it done.

Miles aside, does Hyundai have a time limit on OCI as well? How long has this car been "in service"?

A little OT, but what made you ditch the Corolla? Did not like it anymore?

3,800 miles used by the dealer, I'd change it w/o hesitation. Then follow whatever routine you planned for oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Nevermind. I found your other thread. Congrats on the baby! It's a life changer.

Nevermind. I found your other thread. Congrats on the baby! It's a life changer.

Thanks Pete.

Concerning time? 12 months/7500 miles or 6 months/3750 miles

Originally Posted By: wemay
Concerning time? 12 months/7500 miles or 6 months/3750 miles

Thanks. If you consider that being a demo car qualifies as a severe service, then I guess it's just about time to change it.

I'd start with the 3750 and extend further if used oil analysis is good. The older versions of this engine had connecting rod bearing problems in the 11-14 years. It's hard to tell at this point if those are fully ironed out because the 15-17 cars are just too new. I'd also use 5w30 or 10w30. The manual permits it, 5w30 at any temperature, and 10w30 above 0F, which you will never get close to in Miami.

I imagine that your Sante Fe Sport is subject to the recall on the older 2.0T Theta engines as well. You will get a new motor up to 120K if you spin a bearing, which seems to be the common failure mode with these motors.

All that said, I love my '12 Sonata, so much legroom!

I always like to get that done as part of the deal before I leave the dealership.
If I buy a fresh to the market car and the dealership doesn't give out any free oil changes I get them to throw in an oil filter in the deal.
Good Luck with the new ride!

Congrats on the on the Baby brother! Had my first last year, no more sleep for you!!

I'm switching over to 5w30 in our 2.4, I believe that most of the issues with them are they are prone to fuel dilution and 5w20 gets a bit to thin.

Congrats on the SF Sport! I really like those.

I would change it. I agree that at that current mileage and it being a demo it qualifies for severe service. Just change it and enjoy the ride.

@Brons2 - Thanks for the info. I have been an avid Hyundai guy since 2010 and keep up with all the items you addressed too.
wink.gif

http://thekoreancarblog.com/

@AirgunSavant - I did get the maint pkg for three years worth of oil changes but they haven't mailed the particulars yet.

@MuzzleFlash40 - Thank you. I have no pref where Viscosity is concerned as the fuel dilution doesn't appear to be causing any issues in the 4-5K mile UOA i've seen. That may be the change marker i use. Still deciding.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
The older versions of this engine had connecting rod bearing problems in the 11-14 years. It's hard to tell at this point if those are fully ironed out because the 15-17 cars are just too new.

coffee2.gif

Interesting, I thought that issue only affected the first couple of years (11-12).

Have any supporting info that states the later models are also affected?

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: Brons2
The older versions of this engine had connecting rod bearing problems in the 11-14 years. It's hard to tell at this point if those are fully ironed out because the 15-17 cars are just too new.

coffee2.gif

Interesting, I thought that issue only affected the first couple of years (11-12).

Have any supporting info that states the later models are also affected?

1.4M cars recalled
Actually looks like the connecting rod bearing issue that plagued the 2011-2013 YF motors was resolved in 2014 with the introduction of the LF motor, but the LF motor had a machining defect that led to this most current recall. Whether or not it has been fixed is still up for debate at this point as the engines manufactured under the new process are still too new to develop any meaningful trends.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
So how do they inspect for spun bearings?? Do they just listen for knocking?

That's the million dollar question!

Hyundai uses an acoustical test to determine if the problem exists. I'm not a Hyundai tech nor do I work for a Hyundai dealer, so I don't know the exact testing procedure but here is what I've gathered. Hold the in the 2000 rpm range for a set amount of time (I believe around 20 minutes) and have a recording device listen to the engine. If the engine passes the "test", you get an oil change and sent on your way. If not, you get a new short block. However, there's a lawsuit out there currently because they are debating whether or not the acoustical test is catching enough of the engines with the defect. People are having their cars pass the test, but fail on them in the middle of the road shortly after.

You spend >$20,000 on a new car and then wonder if you should spend $25 on an oil change? Go ahead and change it.

I don't look at all the UOAs but don't the ones for new engines show higher levels of wear metals?

I don't like to waste time and money changing oil if it's not needed, but we're all here reading a motor oil forum, you know you want to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back