SUBARU UPPER ENGINE CLEANER DISADVANTAGES?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IM DOING A MAJOR SERVICE(FOR A FRIEND) ON A 2003 HYUNDAI ELANTRA WITH 1.8L ENGINE CAR HAS APPROX 100K (KILOMETERS) REASONABLY LOOKED AFTER. No obvious issues.

I WAS THINKING OF USING SUBARU UPPER ENGINE CLEANER TO CLEAN OUT COMBUSTION CHAMBERS, MANIFOLD,THROTTLE BODY. I DON'T WANT TO CAUSE ANY FURTHER ISSUES( Eg: damaged 02 sensor or clean up too good and cause oil consumption issues)

Is this stuff safe to use? Should i use or leave it?

Also, im planning on using a oil flush (Nulon). Is this stuff really needed

Thanks

Last edited:
The Subaru stuff is safe and a soak will help if you have pinging due to excessive carbon buildup otherwise it makes no sense to remove the protective layer of carbon from piston tops.
If there is no sludge or build up you don't need a flush either use a high quality with a decent calcium content to clean the internals. Just use a TB spray cleaner for the throttle body and a MAF specific cleaner or electronics cleaner (do not use carb cleaner) for the MAF sensor if it has one.

Since you said "no obvious issues" and 'for a friend'... i wouldnt risk doing anything other than what it needs. If an issue arises down the road you will most likely be blamed and be on the hook for repairs. Perhaps things are different where you are than here in the US.

Unless there's a problem I wouldn't do anything, especially for a friend. If something happens after you'll be the guy that did it.

My dad ( long ago deceased) used to always say" If it's not broken, then do not fix it until it is"

Use a top tier gasoline Many many brands (Shell, mobil, Exon, Conoco, Co Op, Cenex etc, which already has all of the additives and detergents needed to keep the fuel system and it's components in good shape.

I was getting a fair amount of pinging in the 05 Matrix and did what Trav recommended in another thread. Run one interval of Techron Fuel System cleaner or Gumout Regane cleaner for one interval. I went with the Regane High Mileage cleaner since Techron was out of stock. Then follow up with an interval of B12 Chemtool. About $5 and $4 respectively at Walmart. Completely solved the pinging problem. Thank you Trav!

I read somewhere a while back that Polyether Amine is a substituted Nitrogen molecule....in other words the chemical in Techron detergent, the same type of chemistry Shell puts in it gasoline for free. I suppose dumping in a bottle of Techron after filling up with a non top teir gasoline would suffice. Not sure if one is using a top teie gas and still dumping in a bottle of Techron or fuel cleaner would do much other that lighten the wallet.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Since you said "no obvious issues" and 'for a friend'... i wouldnt risk doing anything other than what it needs. If an issue arises down the road you will most likely be blamed and be on the hook for repairs. Perhaps things are different where you are than here in the US.

I agree. The Upper engine cleaner isnt really needed unless it is something serious requiring it. To be honest I would stick with cleaning out the throttle body, MAF sensor, make sure the air filter is in good shape. Even throw in a fuel system cleaner if you want but for a friend I wouldn't go nuts. I am sure even just doing what I said would give your friend a good "butt dyno" feeling.

My take is that the main application for this stuff is DI engines in which the intake valves are not washed by fuel and whatever cleaners might be present in it.

I have used Subaru Top Engine Cleaner as well as Subaru Carbon Clean using the associated cleaning tool, which screws into the bottle and plugs into a vacuum line via a cone-shaped attachment. I understand that the Australian product comes in a spray can, not sure what the reason for the different delivery method is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back