MAG1 Synthetic C3 5W30 5032 miles VW GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I utilized a Napa UOA kit item number FIL4077. That kit is probably the cheapest way to obtain a UOA. It took 9 days to get the results back.

My car is a 2013 VW GTI.
The oil is a MAG1 synthetic C3/SM 5W30.
I added 1/2 a quart around 4600 miles. I used a Hengst oil filter.
The engine has an gray cast iron block which may contribute to the higher iron particle counts usually seen in VAG EA888 UOA's.
I did a 5200 mile UOA on my GTI and it showed 27 PPM of iron when I sampled it at 30K.
The viscosity didn't hold up. Mag shows the oil being 12.02 @ 100C. This engine isn't plagued with excess fuel dilution like some
other direct injected engines are, but this kit doesn't test for that, so who knows if I had that issue.

I ran this oil thinking there are very modern & expensive anti-wear additive(s) used in C3 oils that wont show in a UOA.
I plan on doing a 5K UOA using Castrol 0W40 to compare it to.

Surprised you 5w-30 and not a 0w-40. I have ran most of my Jetta on 5W-40 or 0W-40 castrol and its clean as a whistle. Although last time I ran 0w-40 Pennzoil it was very clean too. This time Mobil 1.

It sheared some but I don't think it's really that bad. I think you'll see similar shearing with most any oil you run in this turbo DI application. Good/Low wear numbers. 4.6 TBN still remaining. I would run this oil again in your application if it were me.

Thanks. Looks like Total Quartz Ineo MC3 is also a similarly priced option. I am also thinking of trying a lower/mid saps oil in my 1.8

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The oil is Expensive and hard to find even on Amazon, but here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Mag-63278-Synthet...1+C3+diesel+oil

Oh, well in that case, that changes the conversation! I though this was going to be cheap like some of the other MAG1 oils on Amazon. For $7.78 a quart I'd be looking for better value too.

I'm a person that just bought 29 5 quart jugs of gp III full syn on clearance for $7.17 per jug. Won't meet the requirements of your car though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back