protection from north korea missiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be willing to bet the subs are sitting there waiting patiently waiting to light the place up if he does something stupid. My son just came back from there.

Are you asking about anti-ballistic missile capability?

Yes, we've been developing it for quite a while.

The subject is complex, still relatively classified, and since you're shooting at a missile whose warhead travels at up to 17,000 mph, very, very technically challenging.

We created the Missile Defense Agency under DOD over a decade ago.

Their site has a lot of answers to the questions you're asking: MDA AEGIS

The US Navy's SM-3 missile, in conjunction with the AEGIS SPY-1 radar, was built for this purpose and has been used operationally to shoot down a satellite in orbit. (Operation Burnt Frost). The same weapon system; SM-3 and Aegis radar, has been installed in Deveselu, Romania, to provide defense of Europe from future Iranian missiles. It's a NATO installation, manned by the US Navy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd be willing to bet the subs are sitting there waiting patiently waiting to light the place up if he does something stupid. My son just came back from there.

The subs are there for strikes against NK. They provide no BMD capability.

We can knock a satellite out of space because of hydrazine ..... The key to any response is fast detection/confirm of the threat.

Last edited:
if he does something stupid.

Both leaders are acting stupid, and we are going to pay the price.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Time will tell.

That's been the situation for all of human history - peons paying the price for leaders' decisions.

The THAAD defense system is highly accurate. I don't think it would have a problem taking out a Cold War era ICBM. It can easily track it through radar and heat plume. Especially since North Korea has told us where to look. Also, the UN has told Mr. Bowl Cut to chill, but he's not. What are we suppose to do, play nice against threats? That ain't going to happen.

Here's a shipboard laser right here:

1200px-Laser_Weapon_System_aboard_USS_Ponce_%28AFSB%28I%29-15%29_in_November_2014_%2805%29.JPG

I am not sure the USA will go to war over missiles fired that are intended to land in the ocean 20 miles from Guam. Japan should be concerned with missiles flying over it's land.

I hope we shoot down the missiles but unsure if we would try that as the missiles are launched.

I wished we had a experienced president and Sec of State.

My wife's son is in the USAF in Seoul.

It seems that some of our past 'leaders' tried the more 'reasonable' approach (even so far as paying NK off not to build nukes) and look at where it has gotten us....

I believe that China supports NK's belligerence despite pretending not to ...

100%

Originally Posted By: pbm

It seems that some of our past 'leaders' tried the more 'reasonable' approach (even so far as paying NK off not to build nukes) and look at where it has gotten us....

I believe that China supports NK's belligerence despite pretending not to ...

I feel the same way. I have a feeling Kim Bowl Cut is going to grow a bigger set once he gets his missiles dialed in a little better.

I don't think these two are acting stupid, they ARE the real deal.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I wished we had a experienced president and Sec of State

It's those 'experienced' ones that have the middle east on fire and the situation with NK where it currently is. Maybe a new strategy is in order....

I've been living with this open secret for decades and have never publicly commented on it. In the late 60's I was assigned to S. Korea and learned in time that the U.S. had operational nuclear missiles in S. Korea. I have seen, with my own eyes, those missiles and the warheads therein on Nike-Hercules anti-aircraft missiles. I also learned that short range Sargent missiles (so called theater nukes) were there also, although I never saw them. I won't go into greater detail, except to say that every Korean national in the neighborhoods generally knew that they were there, while the typical GIs usually never heard about them unless they worked at or very near the locations. "Rumor Control" is always very active, with "secrets" becoming "open secrets" to be known sooner or later by some people. U.S. Senator J. William Fulbright (then chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee) leveled a public charge that these type weapons were deployed there, about 1969 or 1970, but denials etc. soon shut him down. The NKPR continually complained at Panmunjom, and of course their accusations were repeatedly denied. As one could imagine and expect, their representatives were livid! My point is that even though I never learned when the deployments were originally made, or if the weapons are still there today, (I'd bet a bunch they are!) I believe that the fact that such weapons were there and probably are still there {upgraded of course}, is directly responsible for the problems and issues these days with the NKPR. I have stated facts above--not opinion--I know what I know and what I saw! BTW, these are statements of fact and in no way are political! If the dogs are loosed you may want to know at lease one reason why the NKPR is doing what it has been doing and is so worked up about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back