Rebarrel Old Rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a sporterized Mexican Mauser chambered in .22-250 with a worn throat. Is it worth having a new barrel installed? I would probably change to .243 or .308 or something similar.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I have a sporterized Mexican Mauser chambered in .22-250 with a worn throat. Is it worth having a new barrel installed? I would probably change to .243 or .308 or something similar.

If you're going larger in bore diameter, you might get away with getting it rebored and rechambered.

Yeah, but gunsmithing keeps the dollars where you want them. Employs fellow shooters, etc.

The simplest approach is to have the barrel set back say two threads and the chamber re-cut. Your barrel will be something around 1/4" shorter, no big deal.

But, if you don't want that caliber anymore, sell it and get something else ...

Is it registered? Was the bolt-face altered? Was the mag altered?

Installed a new barrel is like putting a new engine in a car. Setting back a barrel is like rebuilding an engine in a car. People do it (or have it done) all the time, but the cost/benefit has to be analyzed versus total replacement.

If it's a Mexican Model 1895 (small ring action) I'd think hard about not doing it.

If it's a M1902 ('98/Large Ring action) in good shape, I really liked the gun, it already fed and extracted well, and the receiver checks out OK, I'd go for it. Have the gunsmith check out the receiver lugs for setback. If there's already signficant setback, even in a large ring, I'd pass on a rebarrel.

I'd have them rebarrel it, that's if you like the rifle. You could probably have it set back, but 22.250 is hard on barrels, so a new barrel would be the way to go. .243 and .308 are good choices. If you have a good gunsmith he can bed the new barrel too, and you could end up with a real nice shooter.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd have them rebarrel it, that's if you like the rifle. You could probably have it set back, but 22.250 is hard on barrels, so a new barrel would be the way to go. .243 and .308 are good choices. If you have a good gunsmith he can bed the new barrel too, and you could end up with a real nice shooter.

If the magazine is blocked, the follower cut and the top rails reshaped for feeding 22/250 properly, trying to move to 243 or 308 would NOT be good choices. Likewise if it was an Oviedo small ring, too soft for a cartridge both that large and that high pressure.

I hadn't thought about having the chamber recut if the the rifling is still okay. It saves a lot of work having the other parts fitted to a new caliber.
Functionality it's a nice shooter, it feeds good and is smooth. It was custom built back in the late
60's as a hunting rifle and I've had it for about 30 years. It It has sentimental value but not "can't touch it" sentimental value.

It was custom built back in the late 60's as a hunting rifle and I've had it for about 30 years.

It would most definitely be worth rebarreling, or whatever gunsmith work you put into it, if that's the case. Custom built rifles from the 60's show an era of craftsmanship that is lost in a lot of todays rifles that are pedaled at the, "Big Box Stores".

The throat is worn, but has the group size opened up?

As the others have said, your options are:
1) Have the barrel moved back and rechambered.
2) New barrel.
3) Sell it and get what you actually want.

There are pluses and minuses to all three option, just like most things in life.

BSW

Groups aren't consistent. I can almost push the bullet out of the case before it hits the lands.

Then it's probably time to pick an option.

Good luck.

BSW

Some of the new bullets might want a tighter rate of twist than your old barrel. Is your action long enough for 5.5x55? Everyone danced right over 260 & 7mm-08 Rem.

Before going crazy picking new cartridges, consider that the receiver and/or magazine may need to be modified to feed properly. That can be a tedious process. I provided my gunsmith with a bunch of dummies and it took him considerable time (and $$$) to get it to feed, and that was a 57mm long case in a '98 Mauser receiver, but the body taper was different.

If it feeds/ejects OK right now, ask your gunsmith how much more extra the work will be for a cartridge change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back