Broccoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a ton of broccoli earlier from the Stir Fry bar at the grocery store. Sauteed in a little bit of olive oil, minced garlic and a little bit of teriyaki sauce. Also had a fair amount of onions and mushrooms in it. Didn't smell any broccoli but the garlic was pretty strong.

It has always been fascinating to me that a lot of foods that are supposed to be good for you smell surprisingly the same before and after digestion. Sorry about the mental image that imbues.

Broccoli is my kid's favorite vegetable. Can't get enough of it.

Sort of reminds me of the broccoli featured in the movie Inside Out. It was supposed to be the main character's least favorite food, and she was disgusted when that was all that a pizza place had. At least one scene in the version shown in Japan changed that to green bell peppers, because broccoli is generally liked by kids in Japan. And I found out that they call it "capsicum" in Australia while looking up a photo of the scene.

inside-out-broccoli%20copy.jpg

My kids love it...when they were 4 and 2, wife was shopping with them, and they asked for Brussels Sprouts for dinner, and an old lady gave her snide remarks about what she was doing to the kids for that to be a request.

easy...they were breast fed (in parallel with solids of course) to 14 months and 10 months respectively (both weaned themselves when they wanted to), and thus got exposed to all the different chemicals that make up food through the milk...thus everything was flavourful, and nothing was a problem when it came to eating normally.

Bottle fed formula, and people grow up seeking bland, sweet and salty...thanks Nestle.

I like broccoli cooked or raw because I know it's healthy.
Surprisingly, it's great on top of pizza.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I like broccoli. I am THAT weird.

Oh, yeah? I'll raise you Brussels Sprouts!

Originally Posted By: pbm
I like broccoli cooked or raw because I know it's healthy.
Surprisingly, it's great on top of pizza.

I don't know if they ever actually did it before, but after Inside Out started showing, Arizmendi Emeryville had a broccoli pizza for one day in honor of the movie. The whole concept they have is based on the Cheese Board Pizza Collective in Berkeley, which is to have a single vegetarian version each day, and they're one of several places that serve similar pizzas. It's only a few blocks from Pixar and one of their employee hangouts.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Did I just steam some broccoli or did someone peel off pair of two day socks...

At work we have a mini fridge in the projects area. Guy left his broccoli for a while. Man the stink on that!!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Brussels Sprouts are one of my favorites!!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
My doctor uses it to check my gag reflexes. I put a stalk in my mouth and....

Vile weed !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I love both!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
My kids love it...when they were 4 and 2, wife was shopping with them, and they asked for Brussels Sprouts for dinner, and an old lady gave her snide remarks about what she was doing to the kids for that to be a request.

easy...they were breast fed (in parallel with solids of course) to 14 months and 10 months respectively (both weaned themselves when they wanted to), and thus got exposed to all the different chemicals that make up food through the milk...thus everything was flavourful, and nothing was a problem when it came to eating normally.

Bottle fed formula, and people grow up seeking bland, sweet and salty...thanks Nestle.

That last part is false from my personal experience where breast feeding wasn't an option or advised. Kids still enjoyed a healthy variety of vegetables in portions well in excess of the recommended and carried that into their adulthoods. Gets down to parenting quality and effort.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Gets down to parenting quality and effort.

thumbsup2.gif

OK will cede that point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back