E-Mail Retrieval Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used the local library's Xerox copier/scanner to scan several pages of paper, create a single pdf, then email it to me. While at the library, I logged onto my att/yahoo email account, checked the inbox and there it was.

Later at home, T-bird inbox shows no record of this file. Anywhere. I created about 6 of these files while getting the hang of it. All appear when I log in as above. However, none appear in T-bird.

What's going on?

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Used the local library's Xerox copier/scanner to scan several pages of paper, create a single pdf, then email it to me. While at the library, I logged onto my att/yahoo email account, checked the inbox and there it was.

Later at home, T-bird inbox shows no record of this file. Anywhere. I created about 6 of these files while getting the hang of it. All appear when I log in as above. However, none appear in T-bird.

What's going on?

Lower or turn the security settings on T-bird as they relate to attachments. Looks like T-bird isn't downloading them cause it thinks they are nefarious or rogue files. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If you login to your ATT/Yahoo account via the web browser at home, are they there?
Yes.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If you login to your ATT/Yahoo account via the web browser at home, are they there?
Yes.

Then HondaRULZ might be onto something with the security settings in T-Bird. Though I mean at this point, if you can get them through the web GUI, it probably doesn't matter.

I've been through Tools > Account Settings.
.""...""......""........"...> Options.

"Do not download files larger than.." is not enabled. Didn't see anything that would cause this problem. I've used the library scanner to send me files before last year (March 2016). No worries there. Something has obviously changed, but I'm not sure what.

I'd of scanned these to a mem-stick rather than email, if I had one on hand.

I looked them up on yahoo/att again. Noticed they were grayed out and had no round blue dot next to them (read/unread?). The attached files in each msg were .pdf's. When it worked they were also pdfs.

I went back to check the attachment size, no details. When I moused over the pdf icon the text "download" appeared. I did so THEN the attachment size appeared. First one was 2.8Mb. OK...that would be too large for email probably. As I moved down the list, discovered one pdf that was only 20Kb that didn't download. That should have worked.

Perhaps yahoo/ATT changed the rules since last year re: pdf attachments to counter-act malware?

Next time I'll experiment with .jpg instead of .pdf.

Alright, I opened each. They were saved in my "downloads" folder.

Another Q...multiple separate docs were all batch-scanned into a single pdf file. How best to split each out, label it, then save as a separate doc?

Would "print to file" work here?

I do have LibreOffice installed, but haven't used it much yet.

I also have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat installed. Does it have this capability?

TIA...

If you have Acrobat, it can split them, but not the "reader" version. However, you could also get a trial of Foxit which would do it.

Update: I had a frustrating experience with splitpdf on-line. I pointed it to the file, described 15 splits, entered file names, clicked 'submit', then nothing. A guide said the results would be auto-dwnld'd in a zip folder. I found no such folder in the dwnlds fldr.

Now what?

Dwnld'd Foxit reader per your suggestion. It won't do this either! Perhaps you were referring to the paid version? Or just do it while in the trial period? I need something more lasting.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry if my reply is redundant or impertinent: I have just come across this thread. As a last resort (which would work as quickly and easily as an "Plan A" might have) can't you just take the source PDF and "print" it to a (series of) new PDF file(s), specifying the pages you'd like in the first "split" and repeat for every point of demarcation you need?

eg. a 30-page file called source.pdf. Print to a new PDF called source_pgs_1-5.pdf and specify printing pages 1 through 5, repeat for source_pgs_6-10.pdf and so on.

Update: Just figured out why splitpdf wouldn't work: Ublock Origin blocked something. I turned UBO off, used a small file to split, and a window pop'd up allowing me to dwnld the zip'd fldr.

UC: Evidently I can't do as you describe using Acrobat Reader XI nor Foxit Reader. "Print to file" was removed in XI. Foxit wants me to buy their full version.

Evidently Goog Chrome brwsr can do this, but I use FF. Might be a FF plug-in.

I also use LibreOffice. Not sure if it can do this either.

My goal is to build a recipe database. I have many I've copied from numerous sources over the years. By digitizing them, they're backed up, I can view recipes from the kitchen Mac, view them on the Nexus, email, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back