HEALTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations. I know how hard it is to quit. One time, I quit for 3 years and went back. I've been off since the 90s, at some point.

Your loved ones will be glad, as well.

Some people can't ever give up smoking until they encounter major health issues from it, and even then some people still smoke. Congrats, and feel fortunate that you've been able to beat the addiction.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Today is my 6 year anniversary. Stopped smoking cigarettes. So far all lung X-rays show OK so far. Ed

How many years were you smoking ?

Its good that you quit.

That's a notable accomplishment. Congrats.

When i was in the Air National Guard, our shop chief smoked during the annual PT test; this gives a good indication of how a physiological dependency can overrule common sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Today is my 6 year anniversary. Stopped smoking cigarettes. So far all lung X-rays show OK so far. Ed

Congrats !

I quit in 1980 or 1981 .

Lay it down and do not pick it back up .

Good job. Getting healthier is a slow process compared to indulging yourself. But once significant progress is attained one should take a moment and reflect and enjoy the simple pleasure of being one's self.

In Europe many smokers have picked up vaping as a way to quit. The health services actually recommend switching. Healthier than cancer sticks.

It's ashame in the US that the nanny state refuses to recommend safer alternatives. Binary logic only and smoking is the new boogeyman. There are a lot of people who aren't going to quit, but can be served by harm reduction.

Oh , I guarantee every smoker will quit , one day . Just a matter of you position relative to the grass .

Lay them down and do not pick them back up .

Way to go! Reaping the fruits of self-discipline has got to be organically satisfying. The discipline that leads to the accomplishment is probably the greatest achievement IMO. It's tough to overcome the chemically-induced nagging of one's own physiology, but the flesh is meant to be tamed.

Think how much money you have saved in addition to beneficial health improvements.

Years ago when I smoked, cigarettes were 25¢ a pack. (Ok, I was 10 and quit after 2 cigarettes and a lot of coughing.). Now at close to $10.00 a pack.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
In Europe many smokers have picked up vaping as a way to quit. The health services actually recommend switching. Healthier than cancer sticks.

It's ashame in the US that the nanny state refuses to recommend safer alternatives. Binary logic only and smoking is the new boogeyman. There are a lot of people who aren't going to quit, but can be served by harm reduction.

This nanny state has determined that Vaping actually leads to increased risk of smoking.

And this nanny state should not be paying for anyones vaping....ironically a gov't that pays to support peoples unhealthy addictions is by definition a nanny state.

Congrats to the OP....hopefully your children are not smokers since children of adult smokers have a much greater likelihood of stsrting the habit than those raised in non-smoking households.

Thats awesome. I started at 19 and I picked up vaping a couple years ago. It wasn't until just about a year ago I stopped smoking. I vape now only. I did have some ciggs while in Mexico this year year and a few back in Feb but thats it. I am pretty happy about that. I regret having those too. Its a tough habit to quit. I need to quit vaping too but I am not ready yet.

Do I have this correct? When you vape you suck smokey, heated vapor into your lungs?

When I work around smoky or heated vapor I wear a breathing mask.

So, someone invented this idea and no matter how harmful it might be the selling point is that it's not as bad as sucking on burning tobacco? Is there something I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back