CV front drive axle recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re-manufactured OEM if at all possible > new aftermarkets, IMO. Can you keep yours on hand in the event the Cardone remans were to be troublesome or at least get a shop you picked to estimate reman cost of your own?

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
There is no hurry, as the joint hasn't been clicking that much yet while turning. It will probably last several thousand miles.

$400 parts + $175 labor is a little too much for an OEM part. I'm inclined to get this new Chinese CV axle. I'm thinking that any remanufatured CV axle will use Chinese joints and boots, so why not get the whole thing assembled new in China? Or are these simply not good?

https://www.amazon.com/SurTrack-TO-8035-CV-Axle-Shaft/dp/B00DCO2IF6

made by Wonh Industries Co, Ltd, which also makes OEM CV axles for Chinese cars:

http://www.wonhparts.com/

81LBypraI6L._SL1500_.jpg

I would take the "new" Chinese sur-track over an AZ reman Cardone. Cardone can't be trusted to find the toilet to relieve itself at night.

So, how would you guys vote on the following?

A1 Cardone remanufactured with OEM core (about $50)
Chinese Wonh Industries SurTrac all-new with non-OEM core (about $40)
Local-shop rebuilt/remanufactured with OEM core ($??)

Find out the price of the local shop first
smile.gif

If the price is reasonable, then local shop > Cardone > Chinese Wonh

otherwise

Cardone reman > local rebuild > Chinese

Apparently local repair shops here use new Chinese GSP axles, distributed by the professional parts distributor Completes Plus. What do you think about these? It looks more OEM-like than the other Chinese brand Wonh Industries SurTrac.

http://www.gsp.cn/pro_line.jsp?id0=z0hl7ca368&id1=z0hl7ccpao&id2=z0hl7qvct7

New Chinese GSP axle ($90 on Amazon, may be cheaper at the brick-and-mortar Completes Plus):

61AFxNKFPIL._SL1500_.jpg

New Chinese Wonh Industries SurTrac ($35 on Amazon):

81LBypraI6L._SL1500_.jpg

There seem to be a lot of bad reviews for GSP out there... I'll call Completes Plus tomorrow to see what they actually recommend.

I threw some cheapies from Advance Auto in our Honda Odyssey when the original ones got loose and started causing vibration. No problems.

Why go OEM when the OEM only lasted 150k miles?

otoh, I repacked the outer CV in my Accord when the boot ripped. 285k miles and counting...

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
New aftermarket.

In other words new Chinese knock-off.

What are people's experiences with Chinese knock-offs for CV axles? Do the shafts fit and hold up against corrosion? Joints and boots any good?

As long as you buy a brand name, it should be OK. Buying a no name is likely to give you an issue.

The local axle remanufacturer that was driven out of business by A1 Cardone and Chinese knock-offs honestly stated that remanufactured axles last about six years and the new OEMs about ten years. No axle lasts forever.

I called Completes Plus, which is the parts distributor for most repair shops around here, and they said that they only distribute Chinese GSP new axles. For some reason they said it's not available for my car but I can find it on the Internet. However, I saw several bad reviews about GSP axles on the Internet. Completes Plus wasn't aware of any problems with GSP.

I need to decide whether to get A1 Cardone remanufactured or Chinese GSP new (or perhaps Chinese Wonh Industries SurTrack new). I think $400 for a new OEM axle is too much. There are very few local rebuilders left and I doubt they do a better job than A1 Cardone.

After a local shop installed reman on my 92 Civic they began making noise a year later. After that experience, I found another shop which has now been my mechanic for years. They installed brand new axles from AAP and those were trouble-free for a couple years until the car was stolen. I unfortunately don't have the paperwork on the car and when I search online there seems to be way more options these days for my car. So, IMO the brand name new at say Napa or AAP may be just fine (that's the only part stores my mech will use unless no options) but I really wish I could give you the name that was on the pair I had installed from AAP 5 years ago now. It was one of those lifetime warrantied new.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
After a local shop installed reman on my 92 Civic they began making noise a year later. After that experience, I found another shop which has now been my mechanic for years. They installed brand new axles from AAP and those were trouble-free for a couple years until the car was stolen. I unfortunately don't have the paperwork on the car and when I search online there seems to be way more options these days for my car. So, IMO the brand name new at say Napa or AAP may be just fine (that's the only part stores my mech will use unless no options) but I really wish I could give you the name that was on the pair I had installed from AAP 5 years ago now. It was one of those lifetime warrantied new.

Thanks. The only axles Advance Auto Parts/Carquest carry are Carquest-branded Chinese GSP new axles. They also sell a brand of remanufactured axles and a couple of other brands of new axles online only.

Do you have a Napa locally to compare to? If the reviews online of those are truly bad enough maybe an alternative new option could be had or you settle for reman and hopefully budget 5 years life expectancy.

EDIT: It seems perhaps Napa is only reman.

Last edited:
Do you have a Napa locally to compare to? If the reviews online of those are truly bad enough maybe an alternative new option could be had or you settle for reman and hopefully budget 5 years life expectancy.

Yup, Napa is only selling the A1 Cardone remanufactured axles like Pep Boys does.

I've installed an A1 Cardone reman and a Chinese axle in an van my parents used to have. I had to go through 2 of them to get a good one. The Chinese one seemed to work OK. It's all a roll of the dice.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I've installed an A1 Cardone reman and a Chinese axle in an van my parents used to have. I had to go through 2 of them to get a good one. The Chinese one seemed to work OK. It's all a roll of the dice.

First ones failed for both the A1 Cardone remanufactured and Chinese new? What was the brand for the Chinese one?

Yup, Napa is only selling the A1 Cardone remanufactured axles like Pep Boys does.

So, if I were in your position and the reviews online were repeatedly bad then maybe settling on reman A1 Cardone is the best CoA at this time.

First ones failed for both the A1 Cardone remanufactured and Chinese new? What was the brand for the Chinese one?

The Chinese one was on there until the van was donated, it was a Cardone Select and who knows who made it?

The first reman was an Duralast-labeled Cardone. AZ refunded it. The second one was from the parts house.

So, if I were in your position and the reviews online were repeatedly bad then maybe settling on reman A1 Cardone is the best CoA at this time.

Well, there are a lot of bad reviews for A1 Cardone as well. It could be that you are only hearing from people who had bad experiences with either the A1 Cardone or Chinese knock-offs and the vast majority are happy but silent.

nthach, for example, had a better experience with a Chinese knock-off than with the A1 Cardone.

The Chinese one was on there until the van was donated, it was a Cardone Select and who knows who made it?

The first reman was an Duralast-labeled Cardone. AZ refunded it. The second one was from the parts house.

I also noticed that Autozone has discontinued the A1 Cardone remanufactured and only sells the Chinese Wonh Industries SurTrac new.

Also let me know how Chinese Wonh Industries SurTrac new axles (Autozone and O'Reilly) compare to Chinese GSP new axles (Advance Auto Parts/Carquest and the local Completes Plus parts distributor) if you have any idea.

From the pictures Chinese GSP new axles seem more OEM-like and GSP seems to be a bigger company but I haven't seen either actual part. There are several bad reviews for GSP axles out there but this could be because they are sold more often.

Can the local stores let you see the parts? You could try then comparing the GSP to the SurTrac. You're right about negative reviews being the most vocal in this type of scenario. Since it's a coin toss IMO go with cheapest new axle if they look similar in quality in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back