Credit Report Freezes - Not Just for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each of the four credit bureaus (there's a 4th now called Innovis) offer the ability online on their sites, to put a security freeze on your credit file. I've done it with all four. It works. When buying the motorcycle couple weeks ago dealership called and said bank needed me to unlock my Transunion file, just for about 30 minutes so they could run the approval process. Went online, unlocked, then locked it back down little later. Worked flawlessly and easily online.

All the usual online best practices apply of course, make sure your device is malware/virus free, the connection shows as SSL (I also use IBM's Trusteer Rapport to secure important connections).

To each their own but trust me it's much less hassle to lock them down and manage a few PINs needed to unlock them anytime, than trying to clean up the mess a fraudster will make of your credit files if they get your personal info and start doing their thing.

However, some states allow each credit bureau to charge a fee to lock your report if your not a victim of ID theft. That is bovine scat in my opinion and I'm glad in my state it is free to do.

I just wish they didn't each charge $10 every time
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I have an Equifax Account that has the security freeze and other items and I like it.
IMO, so much better than Lifelock that I had earlier.

I had read in the past that Lifelock was pretty useless. I used Equifax for a few years and then kinda let things go unfortunately.

I agree on Lifelock.
With LifeLock, you're dealing with a 3rd party.Dealing with the big credit agencies directly makes more sense and Equifax monitoring was a bit cheaper when using the family plan at $29.95 a month or one payment of $299.95 for the year and get two free months.

LR you didn't get that bike from the Guzzi /Ducta dealer near me in Derry New Hampshire = Seacoast Sport Cycle?? My co worker bough a Duke and a Guzzi up there.

BTW, I had my info (which is my life story) stolen by Chinese hackers in that Gvt hack. Was offered free lifelock but I demurred.

Last edited:
No, dealer is in Nevada.

TransUnion offers free credit monitoring. It works. I got a notification same day after I unlocked the credit file during loan approval process for the motorcycle. Notification showed the bank the dealer finances through as an inquiry for new loan. Notifications are only generated on hard hits i.e. actual inquiries for new credit.

I have been "locked" down on my credit for nearly 10 years now. It's not hard to manage overall.

However, I was unaware of this "new" Innovis entity. I just placed a security freeze with them.

Thanks for the heads up!

I was unaware of Innovis but there are 2 obscure credit bureaus. US bank primarily pulls their credit reports if you apply for a credit card. One of those companies does not even have a website. I can't recollect their names now but Magnify Money has them listed on one of the page (which I can't find at this moment, but I will write them and update this post once I find it).

Mine are frozen for 2 years now. A cop recommended me when I went to file a police report for unauthorized air ticket purchase on my card. The daily credit card offer also stopped, so much less junk.

But as someone said above, I hate to pay $5 or $10 per thaw and refreeze.

P.S. - It is interesting that I have to pay $11.50 to get my own information from Innovis....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt
I agree on Lifelock.
With LifeLock, you're dealing with a 3rd party.Dealing with the big credit agencies directly makes more sense and Equifax monitoring was a bit cheaper when using the family plan at $29.95 a month or one payment of $299.95 for the year and get two free months.

That's a little crazy, pay $300 every 14 months so you don't become become a victim? At $300, I think you're already a victim and you mind as well take your chances. Happened to me a while ago, Just a couple of charges. Didn't spend anywhere near $300 getting it cleared. Actually didn't cost me anything and maybe a half hour of time. Had to swear that the charges weren't mine and had to get it notarized which was free at work and also free at a bank.

It mainly helps against someone using your credit file to get new cards and/or other new credit. But once you've experienced that, and had to get your credit files corrected (major PITA) you'll never go back to being unlocked with your FICO fanny hangin' out in the breeze 24/7.

Correct - a security freeze on your credit files does not stop CC theft occurrences. But it does stop people from getting new cards, taking out loans, etc.
It can also make your identity less valuable/desirable because what good is knowing a person's personal info if you cannot get money out of their name?

Like most things in life, it's not an "absolute" answer; but it's a good deterrent. Protection isn't about one thing for all applications; it's about layers of defense specifically made for unique applications that make you less desirable than the next fool in line.

No different than my neighbor who leaves his doors unlocked, garage door up, windows visually unimpaired, and owns no "protection".
Whereas we lock doors, have multiple large alarm dogs, motion activated exterior lighting, deter onlookers with blinds, have limited access points, and things that go "bang".
Which is more likely to be burglarized?

Same goes for locking your credit. It's not fool proof, but it's cheap, easy and effective. It makes other people more attractive to mess with than you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back