Which push mower should I purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between a Cub Cadet and Troy Built with a Honda engine, which one would you pick and why? Both have same size deck and are within $10 of each other.

Cub Cadet and Troy Bilt are both made by MTD.
Along with

MTD's brands[edit]
Bolens
Columbia
Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Commercial
Cub Cadet Yanmar (joint with Yanmar)
Farm King
GardenWay
Gold Series
Gutbrod
Gutbrod-Kehrer
Huskee
Lawnflite
Mastercut
Mow Master
Mow Master Mastercut
MTD
MTD Black Edition
MTD Silver Edition
MTD Gold
MTD Mowmaster
MTD Platinum Pro
MTD Platinum SD
MTD Pro
MTD Super
MTD Taral
MTD Tradesman
MTD Turbomax
MTD 2000 Elite
Novotrac
Ranch King
Rasentrac
Remington
Troy-Bilt
Ventzki
Ventzki MTD
White Outdoor
Wolf Garten
Yard Machines
Yard-Man
Yard-Man Elite
Yard-Man Select
YardWorks

Look them over, you will probably see they are nearly identical.

Does one have a feature that makes it worth $10 more?

Originally Posted By: Colt
Cub Cadet and Troy Bilt are both made by MTD.
Along with
MTD's brands

That comparison comes down to basically what color do you want your MTD?
My advice would be to keep on looking. Honda, some of the higher end Toros, Husquvarna would be a good place to start.

If you like the Honda engine you might look at a Honda mower.

My commercial grade Honda push mower is about 15 years old and runs like new. The only problem has been one of the front wheel height adjusters has frozen into place and I'm working on fixing it.

I'm lurking around for a newer mower too, current one I've had since 1999. But I got to tell you, those electric ones are starting to catch my eye.

Hundred-ed on the Honda. You pay a little more, it doesn't go in the garbage three years later.

Got the electric start just because. It's a joy to use a quality tool that makes the chore pleasant. Cut is very nice, like a carpet. Mulches so fine its like dust.

Virtually every part says made in the USA.

Bought and returned both Ego electric and 80v Kobalt/Greenworks. Yeah they cut and mulch, just not as good. Forget shredding leaves come fall.

Suction really sucks (or doesn't lol) that's the rub. To get runtime the blades have no airfoil and can't even pick up the smallest twig. Matted grass stays put for the same reason. Build quality cheap, toss after warranty is up.

In a few more years you're going to want to toss it anyways. Older tech.

I have a 5 year old Honda high end mower and love it.Although, I just had to put a new carb in it.
I had another Honda I had 15 years and gave it away.

If I was in the market for a mower, the EGO brand catches my eye.
The negative thing I've read about the many electric mowers is the blades don't last because the blade is thinner.

It would be very tough for me to get away from a Honda, though.

Toros are also MTD built.

Based on my experience with MTD mowers, avoid them.

I agree with Hondas. I had a rider last 25 years and a push 15 years.

Lucky to get 5 years with MTD.

You want a Honda-powered mower. No other small engine will do. All other bits can be replaced episodically, but an easy starting drill is a must, and is simply unobtainable from any Briggs-powered piece of OPE that I've ever used. My 17yr-old GCV-160-powered Craftsman mower is a one-pull starter every time.

Originally Posted By: knerml
Toros are also MTD built.

Based on my experience with MTD mowers, avoid them.

I agree with Hondas. I had a rider last 25 years and a push 15 years.

Lucky to get 5 years with MTD.

If you buy your lawnmower at Home Depot or Lowes, be careful. Both Honda and Toro mowers are actually made by MTD. You would still get the Honda engine but everything else is MTD. That is why they are so much cheaper than buying at a lawnmower store or power equipment center where they sell real Hondas and Toros amongst other good brands.

Last edited:
I have had my troy built with honda motor for 5 years now. I have replaced one blade on it. My only suggestion is to actually try it on the floor model. I didnt do that and I feel like I am too hunched over when mowing as I do not have self propelled. If they just made that handle a little taller...

I have a cub cadet push mower that's 2.5 years old.
Pro's:
Easy start for the first two seasons. 1 pull every time.
Easy height adjustment.
Good power. Never had it bog down. Even in tall wet grass.
Does a good job mulching
Has an oil drain plug :)
The Kohler engine definitely uses less gas than the old Toro did.

Cons:
Not great for bagging. At half full the grass blocks the bag input. Must empty frequently. Might be able to fix by bending supports to make it hang lower.
Exhaust points straight out the front blowing leaves out of the way that I would rather mow over and mulch.
After 2 years, 1 pull starts are intermittent. Sometimes when warm it takes 6 pulls. (Would appreciate tips on how to fix this).

Overall I'd say it's a pretty good mower. Seems like it will hold up over time. The cons are fairly minor.

Last edited:
I use, and recommend this type of mower:
pACE-958005dt.jpg

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Used Toro Super Recycler or Commercial Honda.

I agree.

I have a >20 year old Toro Recycler and I am just at the point of needing to replace drive belts and brake. No other maintenance costs except oil, filters, spark plugs and blades.

Last edited:
Is MTD not making any for Sears now? I think mine was Husqvarna in any case ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back