Castrol EDGE High Milage Reformulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the TBN, its over 11! if the pour point and MRV were lower this would be an incredible high milage oil.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/3391138005AB58C68025816E005D789B/$File/BPXE-APTQAT.pdf

Originally Posted By: drtyler
What's wrong with the pour point and MRV?

-39 Pour point for a 0W? thats weak and MRV of 30k? just not Ideal for people that live in cold regions.

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss

-39 Pour point for a 0W? thats weak and MRV of 30k? just not Ideal for people that live in cold regions.

Where in the U.S. does it get to -39?

Originally Posted By: Matagonka

Really?
https://weather.com/news/climate/news/coldest-temperature-recorded-50-states

I have been in an area of Maine twice when it was below -40.

Pour point is largely irrelevant, and the MRV meets the requirements for a 0W oil. There are other 0W-20 oils that have the same MRV number.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka

Lowest Temperature -60 °F -51.1 °C February 2, 1996 Tower Minnesota

Lowest Temperature -61 °F / -52 °C February 1, 1985 Maybell Colorado (Right Beside NE)

Lowest Temperataur -70 °F / -57 °C January 20, 1954 Lincoln Montana

Lowest Temperature -69 °F / -56 °C February 1, 1985 Garden City Utah

Lowest Temperature -50 °F / -45 °C January 16, 2009 Clayton Lake Maine

Lowest Temperature -80 °F / -62 °C January 23, 1971 Prospect Creek Alaska

I mean the coldest I have ever been in is -40, we go on family vacations to North Dakota and Minnesota in January. But the U.S. Gets cold

Last edited:
An the pour point isn't just "it flows just fine at this temp." At -30F (common where we live) a -54 pour point M1 0w20 EP starts up a lot nicer than a -45 pour point Maxlife oil. That extra 10 degrees makes a HUGE difference. So a -30 pour point would not be good at all at a real -30. It would be a very rough start.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
An the pour point isn't just "it flows just fine at this temp." At -30F (common where we live) a -54 pour point M1 0w20 EP starts up a lot nicer than a -45 pour point Maxlife oil. That extra 10 degrees makes a HUGE difference. So a -30 pour point would not be good at all at a real -30. It would be a very rough start.

I think you'll find what you are observing isn't pour point but rather superior CCS and MRV, which isn't surprising based on the majority PAO base of the EP 0w-20.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: WillsYoda

I think you'll find what you are observing isn't pour point but rather superior CCS and MRV, which isn't surprising based on the majority PAO base of the EP 0w-20.

Yes. Pour point just isn't relative to starting.

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who would regularly start their car unaided at -40 F or below. My old BMW lives in northern Wisconsin and will see -25 F during most winters. That is nothing to sneeze at, and can result in odd noises and other dramatics. If it was any colder I'd get some heaters for the engine and battery, but since the very low temperatures are only rarely seen it seems to work OK.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who would regularly start their car unaided at -40 F or below.

I can imagine it if they live in an area where it gets that cold a lot. Police, Ambulance/EMT, Fire & Rescue; UPS, FedEx, USPS... And snow plows.

That said, I would hope that people in those areas use engine block heaters. The worst I ever saw in IL was -17. I had 5w-30 in my truck at the time, though I don't remember if it was semi-synthetic or full synthetic. I had to go somewhere - I don't remember where - and my truck whined really badly and I was praying she'd come out alive. After 10 minutes she was fine.

Looks like really good stuff, Castrol has been on fire the last couple of years.

Typically in the past, you'll find Mobil better at cold start specs than Castrol, while Castrol more often tends to run thicker for grade although I am not seeing that in this particular 0w20.

Pour points can give you a hint but the real answer is in the MRV.

With Castrol's fantastic 0w40 readily available at smoking Wally's prices I find it hard to get much interested in anything else, other than my other pet which is Magnatec full syn for 17 bucks. Wow.

Castrol went lean a few years but currently their add packs are very stout.

I would like to take a look how you start your car with ANY oil, including Redline, Amsoil, etc without block heater when the ambient temperature is -34, not -39. Oil viscosity does not matter: gas will not evaporate, so engine will not start. But if you have a block heater, you can use 10WXX easily.

Originally Posted By: timeau

I would like to take a look how you start your car with ANY oil, including Redline, Amsoil, etc without block heater when the ambient temperature is -34, not -39. Oil viscosity does not matter: gas will not evaporate, so engine will not start. But if you have a block heater, you can use 10WXX easily.

Canadians, especially those out west, do it with some regularity. I've started mine in -38C (-36F) and the noises it made were amazing, but it started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back