Sales Gimmicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on writing a new article about common sales gimmicks and gimmicky "testers" in shops like the Falex one armed bandit and the table top gear cranker. I'd like some insight from others as well so I don't miss any good ones though. So I wanted to know if anyone had any:

- Favorite preposterous claims you've heard or "performance" displays you've seen?
- Any "tests" or things told to you that got you to try a product but in hindsight was nuts?
- Any crazy things the guy behind the parts counter told you just to make a sale that you knew was completely false?

The label on the side of Castrol Magnatec where one can rub their finger across it to feel what using Magnatec clinging molecules will do for your engine.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
The label on the side of Castrol Magnatec where one can rub their finger across it to feel what using Magnatec clinging molecules will do for your engine.

Ooooh, I've never heard of that one before! That's worth looking into. Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Here is a better picture of it. It says see the difference, but you can feel the difference too.

My favorite is the Lucas displays that parts counters used to have for gear oil. They had two sides with plastic gears in them and you cranked the little handle like a model T and it would show the Lucas staying on the gears and the other competitors gear oil was basically water and would come right back to the bottom.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
My favorite is the Lucas displays that parts counters used to have for gear oil. They had two sides with plastic gears in them and you cranked the little handle like a model T and it would show the Lucas staying on the gears and the other competitors gear oil was basically water and would come right back to the bottom.

My favorite is the 4 Ball Wear Test. It looks a bit more impressive than the Lucas display, but it's just as meaningless with regard to engine oil.

I remember a old infomercial for a oil treatment where they would drain the oil, remove the oil pan and spray the crank with a fire hose while the engine was running.

One I feel got me was at the tint shop. They have a display with a sliding piece of glass with two different types of tint showing the heat rejection of their expensive tint with a heat lamp. I paid$500 for my Mazda to be tinted. I should have known that if it sits long enough, with either tint the car still gets hot as [censored]. At least it came with lifetime warranty...

Easy now - at $10/jug it was clinging to my fingers and now my OPE and sons 3.6 Dodge
I'm not sure about that claim - but it does turn in good results...
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: E150GT
One I feel got me was at the tint shop. They have a display with a sliding piece of glass with two different types of tint showing the heat rejection of their expensive tint with a heat lamp. I paid$500 for my Mazda to be tinted. I should have known that if it sits long enough, with either tint the car still gets hot as [censored]. At least it came with lifetime warranty...

3M Crystalline?

The demonstration may be a little gimmicky, but the tint works.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Here is a better picture of it. It says see the difference, but you can feel the difference too.

I've always thought the whole mention of the molecules was a bit silly personally. It's a good oil at a good price so I can't complain. I run the stuff for 10k worry free.

Well , I have never used additional "additives" as I think that they are all sales gimmicks, however I do find myself giving the Lucas oil wheel device a few cranks while waiting for the part counter person to bring me a part from the back shelves. Almost anytime I go to a part store there is almost always a kid or a grown kid cranking on that thing. Not sure how many buy the Lucas oil, but a lot of people have messed with that device that is for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back