Best Helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested in finding out an even better helmet to get than the Nolan N104 modular that saved my life earlier this yr. Only interested in full face or modulars, not love for something that doesn't protect me from a face plant. My neighbor, who can be full of [censored], told me that if I'd been wearing a Bell I'd not have suffered the brain bleed in the accident because "Bell's shells are fiberglass and designed to absorb impact better than any other helmet." I don't know anything about how Bell makes their product so who knows.

What I do know however, is money is no object this time around. I want to select the helmet that best protects. I don't care the cost.

Get one with a shoe brush on top.
grin2.gif

Marvin-the-martian-color-Step-8.jpg

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are still around to ask these questions. Are you interested in using a Snell SA rated helmet? They have a bit more rigorous testing they must past over a DOT or Snell M rated helmet. Specifically, they are rated against multiple impacts in the same accident. It will be hotter than a dedicated motorcycle helmet but will offer better protection.

Any helmet that properly fits your head, and is DOT approved, is fine. There are many that ride with poorly fitting helmets, that's a huge mistake. If it moves even a little when you shake your head left/right and up/down, it doesn't fit.

The next consideration, assuming it's a proper safe example, in my opinion is helmet weight, which is multiplied many times in an accident situation. Shaving a few ounces might make a difference in your outcome and recovery, should you be unlucky enough to need the protection.

I tend to choose a helmet made with actual fiberglass. I liked my older Shoei fiberglass helmets, but the foam rotted out in a year. I then went to an HJC FG-17. I absolutely love it. Quieter than the Shoei, and fits better too. Plus, the foam is still intact!

Since a helmet is just a shell, and styrofoam, you can expect similar performance from any quality version of them. The fiberglass thing simply produces a shell that has a known set of characteristics. Ie: the fibers may distribute a load while still being slightly flexible.

I've suggested the FG-17 to a number of people, and universally, they find it's the best helmet deal around. One guy tried, in vain, to find something more comfortable and quieter. His latest is a Shuberth $800 helmet, that he leaves home as he favors the FG-17

ee09ab2a-c910-47a9-96cd-1dda81c15068.jpg

Not up on motorcycle helmets but the latest in bicycle helmets is construction that mitigates the rotational force when you head hits pavement (or dirt) and the helmet violently rotates. In cycling it's called MIPS, is there similar tech for motorcyclists? Sounds like that was the injury you suffered? There has to be a ton of info available about safe motorcycle helmets online.

All i know, is that in my only serious motorcycle accident, many years ago, my Nolan helmet worked perfectly and protected my head from a triple hit. Economy class, full face with ECE 2202 specs.

I always wore and still do Shoei, Arai or BMW golf ball helmets. Look for Snell norm not DOT or E norms, a high quality helmet will save your life, I know. Don't cheap out on the helmet, spend more than you wanted or planned to and be happy about it. I am only posting on this forum today because of one.

So many good helmets today.
I like Arai, fits my head better with their slightly more oval shape.
Lovely spouse wears Shoei, trending more toward round shape.
Both Arai and Shoei are premium helmets and accept Sena comm systems easily. Both are removable liners for the inevitable stench. Both can be custom fit with optional cheek pads.
Might take a while, but you can find great deals on Arai and Shoei if you look. My Arai was 749. list, I paid 250 for new, 1 year old model.

I wore a Scorpion for a while. Light, good fit, price is always attractive on those.
EXO T1200 is currently around 149, priced well below what it's worth.
Good friend, 50 plus years in the saddle, approaching 1 million miles, MSF instructor, always buys Arai.
Many pro racers use Suomy.
Try on for fit, and see what is comfortable for you.
If it isn't comfortable, you'll leave it home for that one 2 mile trip to the gas station, and that's when Karma can hit hard.
Check out motorcyclegear.com for specials.

Last edited:
My 12 year old son races bikes. So, being that it's my beloved boy, I've done some research into helmet.

I'd look into a helmet with MIPS technology. You'll have to read about it to fully appreciate the technology. But in a nutshell: MIPS stands for Multi-directional Impact Protection System, which is a leading slip-plane technology inside the helmet designed to reduce rotational forces that can result from certain impacts.

We love 6D helmets

Just replaced my 5 year old Scorpion with a FG-17. Like Cujet I really like my FG-17, very quiet and comfortable. Very reasonably priced. At the international Cycle Show at the Bell Helmet display you could stick your head in a machine and get your head scanned by laser sensors and have a really custom fit helmet made. I think it was like $1500 to $2K. Had really new protective features too.

Last edited:
All mainstream helmet manufacturers are good.

AGV, Nolan, X Lite etc

But i have always found Shoei to be the best.

They suit my headshape the best.

Back in the early 90's when i was a Courier people tended to go Shoei or Arai depending on comfort.

We used to joke that some of us had a Shoei head and some an Arai head.

Better in what regard? Helmets that meet the same safety specs are, in principle, equally as safe, as others have said.

What you are typically paying for in more expensive helmets are lighter weight and more customization options. In the end, a cheaper helmet that fits well is going to be "better" (safer) than an expensive one with a mediocre fit.

My advice would be to visit a motorcycle shop that has a lot of experience with helmet fitting and stocks a wide range of brands/styles. Try a lot of helmets on and have them assist you with finding the one that fits best. This is exactly what I did with my auto racing helmet and I actually ended up with an Arai despite having wanted a Bell. The associate even told me, "you have an Arai-shaped head, not a Bell-shaped head."

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Just replaced my 5 year old Scorpion with a FG-17. Like Cujet I really like my FG-17, very quiet and comfortable. Very reasonably priced. At the international Cycle Show at the Bell Helmet display you could stick your head in a machine and get your head scanned by laser sensors and have a really custom fit helmet made. I think it was like $1500 to $2K. Had really new protective features too.

Does HJC FG-17 fit long oval? Actually I'm about between intermediate oval and long oval. The Nolan 104 fit good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back