Valvoline Synpower 5W-20 - 5.7L Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

For anyone that is interested in this UOA:

Oil Used - Valvoline Synpower 5W-20
Miles on Oil - 3000 Miles
Make/Model - 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi (36000 miles)

I know 3000 miles is way too early, but I really wanted to see how things were going as this would be my first UOA. BTW, I do not drive this truck often.

Great report. People slam Valvoline SynPower for low starting TBN but it always seems to deliver on the UOA reports. I also had an excellent run on it of ~7,000 miles in my Lexus. I see no reason not to keep using it.

No wonder the copper is high.... Your name
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
No wonder the copper is high.... Your name
smile.gif

shocked.gif
grin.gif

Yeah.. I, for one, was also really sorry to hear of your failure to find the treasure of One-eyed Willy.

Well, its kinda hard to do since I was pinned down with a boulder the size of a car. Plus, some punk kids lifted my wallet and stole my Lou Gehrig baseball card, and most importantly the "Key"!

Originally Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Agreed on the copper. I'm wondering if the "Silicon" level is considered somewhat high?

I'm not familiar with either this oil or this engine, but I can tell you that I've had oil tested by Polaris, Blackstone, and "Check Oil" and no one I've heard or read about considers Silicon "high" unless it is over 20 ppm; and most of the time they tell you to check for intake air leaks. When installing a new air filter, I grease the gaskets to get more of an "airtight" seal.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Originally Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
Agreed on the copper. I'm wondering if the "Silicon" level is considered somewhat high?

I'm not familiar with either this oil or this engine, but I can tell you that I've had oil tested by Polaris, Blackstone, and "Check Oil" and no one I've heard or read about considers Silicon "high" unless it is over 20 ppm; and most of the time they tell you to check for intake air leaks. When installing a new air filter, I grease the gaskets to get more of an "airtight" seal.

That is because everyone uses Polaris' standards, not because they actually set their own standards. I can name a bunch of other labs that follow Polaris to a T.

CopperPot, this test is very limited in data. Consider selecting a slightly better service.

Silicon is low - no worries. How long was the oil in there time-wise? No make-up oil? Looks like you could go 7500 miles easy IMO.

My 2012 5.7L 2500 had quite the well known hemi tick and consumed a little oil. Any noises with yours?

I've tried a bunch of oils to see which ones minimize the hemi tick. Valvoline Synpower and or Durablend were pretty good at minimizing the tick to almost nothing. Every now and then I'll hear a slight tick mostly when in the garage. The best oil I've come across was QSGB. The Mopar oil filter is the way to go as well.

The silicon is elevated, so is the copper. That test was run on a spectro scientific machine, worthless, good for coast guard cutters chasing down drugs subs deep in narco waters or Navy SEALs off the coast of Somalia, worthless on this nice truck.

You are missing many points of data on this UOA. Too much guessing going on at this point for such a nice truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back