Adjusting snow blower carb in summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMC

I am currently restoring an older Simplicity 1080S snow blower I found locally for $150. It was in fair to good shape, ran and started OK but I still wanted to restore and refresh it. After ordering a few parts, I started tearing into it over the last few weeks.

Fast forward to yesterday, I replaced the fuel hose, filled the tank and fired her up. I let the engine run at full throttle for a while and without a second thought, adjusted the carburator until it ran perfectly. It roars smoothly and idles correctly now but I adjusted the carburator when it was 90 degrees out. My question is, is this thing even going to start when I try it again at 30 degrees? Does outside air temp really make that big of a difference when adjusting an old, fully adjustable carburetor? I am hoping a slight adjustment for the colder weather is all it will need come winter.

The engine is a pretty standard 10 horsepower Tecumseh snow king. Here she is, I think I got a nice machine for $150. Thanks!

I always had to go back in winter and re adjust the carb you'll be to lean for winter and almost surely once you get a load on it.

Last edited:
It will start up fine in the Winter, but you may have to dial it in to match the air density on that approaching Winter's day. Our modern computerized cars automatically adjust for air density.

Should be fine ,only adjustment will be under load, ( i'm assuming it has the adjustment screw on the bottom of the bowl) thats usually how i did mine , cleaned the carb in summer and adjusted it , fine tuned in winter under load. Nice looking machine for $150 you did well !!

You can get it in the ballpark, but the best way to do it is during the winter when it is fully warmed up and under load. I run mine into a high pile of snow, with the auger turning, and make the final adjustments then. I found the machine runs better doing it that way.

The Tecumseh carbs tend to plug up the low speed jet.(surging)
Good fuel, Stabil during storage and a shot of MMO now and then
will keep it running great.
Typically the high speed jet will have to be opened up some for
winter use.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You can get it in the ballpark, but the best way to do it is during the winter when it is fully warmed up and under load. I run mine into a high pile of snow, with the auger turning, and make the final adjustments then. I found the machine runs better doing it that way.

That is what I wanted to hear. I was hoping it was just something simple like that. The low speed jet probably is a little plugged because it only idles with the choke on but I don't really care. The engine purrs along nicely at 25% throttle, just not all the way down at slow idle. I am hoping just using the machine and the constant dose of Gumout I add to my gas will eventually clean it out.

At this point, all the engine work is done and I am in the process of lubricating everything. Once that is done, I am going to change both belts and all the tension springs, adjust the linkages and put everything back together. Once it is back together she is going to get a heavy coat of fluid film all over everything and the gas tank is going to get filled with VP engineered 4 cycle fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back