If you buy a high end luxury car......

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are required by law.

However, lots of people remove them with various methods, or cover them with gag stickers.

A common mod is to replace the visors entirely with ones from overseas that lack the warnings.

Along with the aspherical wide-angle side mirrors, which lack the "Objects are closer..." warning on the passenger side.

Heck, they put those awful stickers all over the interior of our $70M Gulfstream G650ER jet. On the tables, on the seats, on the side panels, on the doors, and so on. Not worth the $10,000 fine to remove one!

My 84 Civic wagon does not have any warning stickers. I should carry a Shop Vac so that in the case of an accident the paramedics can remove me for transport.

All that safety stuff including the stickers is good for you.

Wow, I didn't know this was such an issue of contention.

coffee2.gif

Luxury or not, they all have to pass the same regulations. To expect otherwise is to imply special treatment because of one's wealth. If a poor shlob like me has to look at these ugly sticker in my cheap econobox, so should the millionaire in their hyper luxury mobile.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Luxury or not, they all have to pass the same regulations. To expect otherwise is to imply special treatment because of one's wealth. If a poor shlob like me has to look at these ugly sticker in my cheap econobox, so should the millionaire in their hyper luxury mobile.

I was going to say the same thing. The cost of the vehicle has noting to do with federal mandates.

I do have to say I have no idea what they look like now. I don't think I have ever had the visors down on the Scion, and off hand not sure what they look like on my truck, or if there is even one on the drivers side visor of it.
AS said above, I am looking out the window, not at the visor.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I don't buy cars new enough to have those warning labels still intact. They often fade after some years

Funny you mention that. I just checked my Mercedes E-350. Has the sticker. The one on the driver's side is a faded yellow, the one on the passenger side is fine. Looks like it was about to peel off so I might do that, but then again I don't want sticker residue on it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
My 84 Civic wagon does not have any warning stickers. I should carry a Shop Vac so that in the case of an accident the paramedics can remove me for transport.

All that safety stuff including the stickers is good for you.

I think your car pre-dates all that saftey stuff. I think you don't even have have a 3rd brake light, I think that was '86. No airbags, no side impact, traction control, stability control, collision avoidance. I assume maybe no ABS too. You're basically driving a ticking time bomb although I guess we all are but some to a lesser extent.

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
On hard plastic visors, I have removed them with 91% Isopropyl alcohol. Never heard of a fine.

I think the fine would apply to anyone selling the vehicle as a business. Probably would only be caught if a vehicle was in an accident and they looked.

Just thinking, if I bought a Rolls Royce with the optional $12k starlight head lining (very unlikely on several accounts) I would not want tacky sticker on the (possibly fine leather) sunvisors.

Giveme the stickers, I will read them allowed if you wish, but do not stick them on MY car.

For the last 40 or so years, it has been something of a joke how cars sold in North America Bong,Ding and have warning lights, telling you to do various things you may or may not do anyway.
It's just plain stupid!

What is more suprising,is that in 'the Land of the free' people put up with it!

Originally Posted By: expat
Just thinking, if I bought a Rolls Royce with the optional $12k starlight head lining (very unlikely on several accounts) I would not want tacky sticker on the (possibly fine leather) sunvisors.

Giveme the stickers, I will read them allowed if you wish, but do not stick them on MY car.

For the last 40 or so years, it has been something of a joke how cars sold in North America Bong,Ding and have warning lights, telling you to do various things you may or may not do anyway.
It's just plain stupid!

What is more surprising,is that in 'the Land of the free' people put up with it!

Agree 100%- and motorcycles are even worse; it takes almost a full day to carefully remove all of the moronic warning designed to protect inept idiots.

Lawyer in every bush in the USA - many years ago I bought a Pontiac and the salesman was giving me a real 101 on pretty basic controls. I said lawsuits lately? Said yes, guy from abroad bought a van - set cruise control - and crawled in the back. He won the case ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back