Need help with oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help with selecting the best oil for my RV. I have a small RV built on a 2013 Sprinter 3500 chassis with a 3.0 turbo diesel. I recently read an article that had many bad things to say about the oil that is recommended by Mercedes. Without going into to much detail the article seemed to recommend that I deviate from the recommended oil. I am hesitant to do this since doing this would void my warranty. I am researching to find a really quality oil that still meets Mercedes 229.52. I am looking at amsoil European formula 5w40 but I am looking for advice. In the article I read it seemed that the writer who has a long history with Mercedes thought that the Viscosity index and the Noack number were extremely important. I found this forum and was hoping to get some advice. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

I don't know the specifics of what you read, but as a general rule, it's hard to do better than what the manufacturer specifies.
Essentially, if you use an oil that meets their specification and change it as often as they say, you should be good for a great many miles/years. Does that mean that there aren't better ways to do it? No, but it's hard to go wrong with what they say.

Thanks for the reply TmanT. That's the way I've always believed also but I have been reading and seeing so many auto manufacturers being charged with falsifying data concerning diesels and the EPA is putting such stringent requirements on auto companies that I am not so sure anymore.

What about Rotella T6?

This is a diesel engine so you need a CJ-4 or CK-4 rated oil?

Amsoil makes excellent oil, but you should be able to find oil at Walmart that will meet what the manufacturer recommends.

It sounds like you are looking for the BEST oil....

The manufacturer would have to PROVE (how?) you were not using "the best oil" if something fails.

I don't think you have to worry about your warranty, unless you filled the entire engine full of "Prolong Engine Treatment". That would be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back