What is this, Class III, IV or V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
eEDuNJl.jpg

This is my hitch on my 2002 Chevy 1/2 ton van.

What is this? Class III, IV or V?

I'm confused...help!

Originally Posted By: Donald
I believe it's a class III.
Should be 2".

Kind of a low tow rating if your towing a boat.

It's 2", and I'm planning on renting a 18' Minnie Winnie trailer, 1801FB. Specs

My owner's manual says a G1500 Passenger with 5.7L and 3.42 rear end can pull 5,600 max trailer weight, 11K GCWR.

In another spot in the manual, "If you'll be pulling a trailer that, when loaded, will weigh more than 4,000 lbs, be sure to use a properly mounted, weight-distributing hitch and sway control of the proper size."

Trailer specs says it's 3,300 dry, 3,700 fully loaded.

I think I'll be okay, what do you'all think?

You'll be right at the limit without a weight distribution hitch, but you'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

I think you should put it on a scale. I haven't seen many around here meet the nameplate ratings.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You'll be right at the limit without a weight distribution hitch, but you'll be fine.

There will be a fair amount of tail wagging the dog without a WD hitch and a sway control on a 1500 chassis.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett

There will be a fair amount of tail wagging the dog without a WD hitch and a sway control on a 1500 chassis.

Just found that it has a 340lb tongue weight, so yes, I agree, I'm close, but I'll be okay. I'm not pulling it far, and I'm not buying the trailer, just renting it.

I think it would be fine.
Its a light trailer and the G van has the wheel base to keep sway in check.
Your close but under the max ratings.
If you got lots of heavy luggage put it in the van not the trailer.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett

Just found that it has a 340lb tongue weight, so yes, I agree, I'm close, but I'll be okay. I'm not pulling it far, and I'm not buying the trailer, just renting it.
Get the extra insurance
crackmeup2.gif

Neighbor down the street has a 16'-18' travel trailer and pulls it with a Honda Pilot with a weight distribution hitch. Probably too much trailer for it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I believe it's a class III.
Should be 2".

Kind of a low tow rating if your towing a boat.

It's 2", and I'm planning on renting a 18' Minnie Winnie trailer, 1801FB. Specs

My owner's manual says a G1500 Passenger with 5.7L and 3.42 rear end can pull 5,600 max trailer weight, 11K GCWR.

In another spot in the manual, "If you'll be pulling a trailer that, when loaded, will weigh more than 4,000 lbs, be sure to use a properly mounted, weight-distributing hitch and sway control of the proper size."

Please re-read the specs on the trailer, the empty weight is 3,300 Lbs, The CARRYING CAPACITY is 3,700 Lbs(additional weight you can add to trailer)
The GVWR of the trailer is 7000 Lbs A load distributing hitch will be needed at a minimum. The way that travel trailers like that seem to take on weight with essentials I'm not so sure you can even move that trailer legally with your van.

Last edited:
I'm planning on renting a 18' Minnie Winnie trailer, 1801FB
I think I'll be okay,

Oh my... you're going to kill yourself
grin.gif
laugh.gif

That's NOTHING. Y'all would poo your pants if you saw the overloaded trucks and trailers you see running around Texas.
I regularly see dudes hauling 40,000 lbs of drill stem on a gooseneck trailer pulled by a Dually.
Now, I know what "40,000 lbs of drill stem" LOOKS like, but I guess the highway patrol doesn't?

OH....... My 31' 5th wheel weighs 11K.
My 4.6 liter F150 pulls it just fine.

Your van will do just fine, too!

I've pulled my 19ft boat on a 96 chevy 1500 with bumper mount and the 4.3 V6 all over Oklahoma...never had a problem.

yep. just drive easy and relaxed and don't get caught up in the fever to maintain 70mph over everything. drive at the speed that is the safest margin between vehicle dynamics and traffic, and adjust your route if you want based on how all that goes. sometimes I'll choose a faster interstate if the backroads are two narrow/conjested/technical drive, meaning I may have to keep the speed higher than I might prefer, sometimes I'll take the back roads specifically for the slower, more relaxed drive. IME proper towing requires a maturity that 4 tires alone doesn't teach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back