Best String Trimmer for $200-250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, I need a new string trimmer, ideally one that cost less than $250. I'd go over that a bit if the extra money got me something substantial, but I think $250 should still buy a nice one that'll last a few years.

My last one was a $150 propane 4-stroke by Lehr, who I think is out of business now. I loved that machine, but the quality was less than stellar; I had to do a lot more monkeying around with it than I would have liked, and the propane cans cost a fortune. I don't mind 4-strokes, it worked well but seemed to bog down with heavy .090+ string, just not much high-RPM power. I have a cultivator attachment that would leave the thing literally smoking (any oil residue on the outside), it worked it that hard.

So I suppose the key ingredients, must-haves would be:

No electric / battery
ample power for sustained (~ 1 hr. cultivator use)
Be able to accept other attachments

Any suggestions / input would be greatly appreciated. I have about 2 acres to mow, so the thing will get used a fair bit and needs to last. Thanks in advance.

PAS225SB-1.jpg

$250 trimmer and you can add different attachments. Echo pas225sb

I know some might not like it but I just got an Ego string trimmer. Has enough life to do my yard 2.5 times and I use it to edge the yard along the sidewalk and driveway. I have not ever need more power and in fact I back away from full power most of the time.

Consumer Reports does not recommend string trimmers that handle multiple attachments.

I brought my 15 yr old Ryan trimmer to a local guy and he said it would cost more to fix than it was worth. He also said at this point in cordless technology, worth looking at a cordless trimmer.

ECHO!

Mine is 5 year old. Zero maintenance (same spark plug). I run the ECHO 2-cycle oil and old (3-6 month old) pump gas from my boat. My boat gas has Marine Stabil and Seafoam in mixed in maintenance dosage.

Pump the bulb. Choke pull till it tries to start then dies ( 3 pulls) then switch off choke and start. Go cuttin. I've done this from mid-40 degrees to 100 degrees outside temp same way. no problems.

My previous one ($90 Balins) from lowes would take at least 20 cuss words and 50 grunts to start.

Consumer Reports does not recommend string trimmers that handle multiple attachments.

I brought my 15 yr old Ryan trimmer to a local guy and he said it would cost more to fix than it was worth. He also said at this point in cordless technology, worth looking at a cordless trimmer.

Here is a video of the Ego I bought....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsar86i9Taw

I have a Stihl FS56 that I've owned for 10+ years. I think it has had one spark plug and a replacement head as the other one wore completely out. My father passed away about 2 1/2 years ago and my mom gave me one of his trimmers, an Echo. I estimate it is about 7 years old. It is also an outstanding trimmer. Between the two I prefer the Echo as the shaft is slightly longer and doesn't require quite as much bending over to use, other than that,they are comparable on power and performace. On the Echo, I did have to disassemble the carb and clean it as my dad didn't use stabil in the gas and it gummed up. The Echo has also had a new trimmer head this spring.

Given a choice between the two I'd opt for the dealer who is best in my area; as the machines are basically even IMHO. I buy power equipment from private dealers and avoid the big box stores. Service is easier that way, if you need it.

Good luck.

My wife bought me a Echo for Christmas to replace my 23 yo Craftsman. I love the motor and starting ease. I hate the super large head and moron line load that makes you reload it. I like the bump head. If you aren't smart enough to load a bump head maybe you should get a lawn service is my thoughts on that. Otherwise Great machine.

that little Stihl made in China by Stihl looks nice and light. $80

Last edited:
I have an Echo. First trimmer I've had that will just idle properly. also has a clutch that head won't spin at idle. I can fit large and very tough .150 triangular string that lasts a very long time. By far best trimmer I've ever had.

92satirnI2
I agree with surguywutt,
the Echo pas225sb is your best option. I've been running this unit for 17+ yrs. My 1st power head lasted for 12 yrs. I use the string trimmer, stick edger, and hedge trimmer attachments. Good luck!

I picked one up a few years ago for 100$. Does all I need it to do with no issue. 25cc unit. I wouldnt overlook the cheaper ones. I would however look at weight of unit or if you have a strap. Mine does get heavy if carried over 15 mins or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back