Programming a new key fob for 1997 GMC Sierrra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought 2 new factory GM key fobs for my 1997 Sierra. I programmed them using a paperclip inserted into the port under the dash in the 4 and 8 slots. Then hold down the 2 buttons on the remote till the lock cycles. Worked perfectly but the problem is once I program one fob and then go program the 2nd fob, the 1st fob no longer works once the 2nd fob has been programmed. I tried back and forth several times with the same results. It seems the truck will only learn one fob at a time. Is there a way to get both fobs working at the same time? Many thanks!

Was it just the plastic and rubber worn out on your old fobs?

If so just swap the insides to the new cases

I'm curious what made you buy new? Mine don't work unless I'm near the driver side door even with new batteries.

Been wanting a few new remotes for my chevy Cobalt, but I have been told that they have to be programmed at the dealerships...

not sure if the 4 and 8 slot thing would work for mine...

I bought the vehicle used quite a few years ago and it only came with one almost worn out key fob. It finally stopped working even with new batteries so I bought two new ones. I programmed the first one like I said and it worked fine till I program the second one and then the first one stopped working once I reprogrammed the second one. Then the second one worked just fine but then the first fob stopped working . This went on a few times and I gave up. So it appears that only one key fob will work at a time.

I figured out the problem. You have to program both fobs back to back at the same time without stopping. If you remove the paper clip from the terminals at any point you have to restart. It worked perfectly and now both fobs work perfectly.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Been wanting a few new remotes for my chevy Cobalt, but I have been told that they have to be programmed at the dealerships...

not sure if the 4 and 8 slot thing would work for mine...

Primarily works with pre-serial bus and some GM serial bus vehicles. I think all are gone by GMLAN vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I figured out the problem. You have to program both fobs back to back at the same time without stopping. If you remove the paper clip from the terminals at any point you have to restart. It worked perfectly and now both fobs work perfectly.

You beat me to it. That is how you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back