Mobil 1 Q: 0w40, 5w30 etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I been meaning to ask about what oil would actually be better between these grades of oil.

In Australia - We have the Gold bottle 0w40 mobil1 which is their flagship product.

Then we have a 5w30 Mobil 1 super 2000 (might of been 3000, cant remember now)....

I rang up Mobil tech down here and either is fine for my engine.

Now...

From what I been able to dig up... a 0w40 weight will have more polymers in it than say a 5w30 or even a 10w40. To create more spread between cold and watm temp more polymers are needed.

From what I been able to read more polymers makes the oil protect less.

So technically speaking the flag ship product 0w40 isnt as good as a 5w30 or a 10w40 as it wont protect as well due to more polymers to create such a wide viscosity rage between 0w and 40.

Whats the truth to this?

Where I live the temperature will never be below 5°C when i turn the car on so even a 15w would be more than fine...

On the other side of the argument people say a 0w (anything) will be better than a 5w anything etc simply because oil will get to entire engine sooner than a thicker w start even in those temps im talking about which are not that cold to other places where temps get below 0. Also since more technology is being invested into the 0w40 type oils above the others then even if they have more polymers or ehatever the oil itself is better and will therefor protect better.

So yeh just trying to work out whats actually gonna protect the best out of those and whats actual vs logical assumptions that could be way off.

Last edited:
0w likely won't flow any better than a 5w or 10w in most Australian environments....at least not until -10 deg F to -40 deg F. ambient temps.

The Mobil 1 0w-40 is designed with a much stouter (and different chemistry) add package than the regular blend of 5w-30. The higher HTHS also adds more protection at operating temperature extremes. M1 0w-40 makes the list of European Mfg approvals (in performance engines) whereas regular M1 5w-30 doesn't. Some stronger blends of M1 5w-30 can get close to the HTHS and mfg approvals of the 0w-40.

The Corvette race team was using M1 0w-40 for some period of time. They weren't using the regular 5w-30.

It is probably true that the 5w-30/10w-30/10w-40 grades are more shear stable than a typical 0w-40. But, if that 0w-40 is changed within periodicity based on usage/application, it gives fine protection. Up until January 2016 the M1 0w-40 was certified by all the major European makers (MB, Porsche, BMW, Volvo, Nissan, Audi, VW). The latest version of M1 0w-40 now only lists MB, Porsche, Audi, VW....for reasons not fully known.

So are you saying the 0w40 will protect better (even with more polymers than actual oil) while the 5-30 super (2000/3000) etc wont burn up as quick and thus last longer but does a poorer job of protection?

Dunno the reasons, knowing EU polution controls could be due to that (like how now every 4wd has to have a diesel particulate filter) - which in turn means a 0w40 eg wont be any good as it will damage the DPF on other than the ESP formula is approved however it doesnt protect engine as good but it wont kill the DPF.

Maybe its something along those lines (not dpf related) but polution related in some sense or another where the 0w40 doesnt cut the new criteria, not the fact the oil itself is different/worse.

Huge guess... but... hey.

Originally Posted By: Wreckage
Hello,

I been meaning to ask about what oil would actually be better between these grades of oil.

In Australia - We have the Gold bottle 0w40 mobil1 which is their flagship product.

Then we have a 5w30 Mobil 1 super 2000 (might of been 3000, cant remember now)....

I rang up Mobil tech down here and either is fine for my engine.

Now...

From what I been able to dig up... a 0w40 weight will have more polymers in it than say a 5w30 or even a 10w40. To create more spread between cold and watm temp more polymers are needed.

From what I been able to read more polymers makes the oil protect less.

So technically speaking the flag ship product 0w40 isnt as good as a 5w30 or a 10w40 as it wont protect as well due to more polymers to create such a wide viscosity rage between 0w and 40.

Whats the truth to this?

Where I live the temperature will never be below 5°C when i turn the car on so even a 15w would be more than fine...

On the other side of the argument people say a 0w (anything) will be better than a 5w anything etc simply because oil will get to entire engine sooner than a thicker w start even in those temps im talking about which are not that cold to other places where temps get below 0. Also since more technology is being invested into the 0w40 type oils above the others then even if they have more polymers or ehatever the oil itself is better and will therefor protect better.

So yeh just trying to work out whats actually gonna protect the best out of those and whats actual vs logical assumptions that could be way off.

There is no such thing as Mobil 1 Super. There is only Mobil 1 and Mobil Super. All Mobil 1 products are flagship. There is no such thing as 0W-40 being better than 5W-30 or vice versa. Use the one with the viscosity and certification recommended for your engine.

If you want Mobil brand, use the cheapest of the two.
I can't imagine you'll have an oil related failure if you use recommended change intervals.

Try getting Mobil Super Synthetic 5w-30 if you can, or even Mobil 1 Full Syntheti 5w-30. However, if I was you, I would use 0w-40 because your engine allows it.

Most are going to say the 0w-40 because it's allowed to have more additive zinc and phosphorus. There is also an argument that the 0w oils have better base stocks because of the need for more VII to meet the hot rating.

To answer your question properly we need the vehicle, and how the vehicle is going to be used. How long are you hoping to go between oil changes?

Based on what your mechanic said I'm gonna say that your engine doesn't place extreme demands on the oil.

Based on that, and your climate I would go with

10w30
15w30
15w40
10w40

If you want to run 5w30 go for it but you don't need 5w anything where you are. The 0w40 is a fine oil but I suspect you don't need it.

Regular driving. I just found a place to sell me drums of it for quite cheap.

Its a daily driver car with spirited fun occassionally.

2003 Toyota Crown - Athlete V 2.5L turbo , 1JZ-GTE

I just put a 15k oil filter on and I assume this oil will go that distance.

For reference... http://lubes.mobil.com/AP-English-LCW/carengineoils_au_products_mobil-super-2000-5w30.aspx

Thats the super 2000 here I can get.

http://m.mobil1.com.au/products/0w-40

Thats the gold bottle I can get in 0w40.

Then there is a regular grey 5w30 and 10w40 bottle as well called advanced syntehtic.

Then there is this as well http://m.mobil1.com.au/products/5w-50

A 5-50 weight. The tech support said that could also be ok since my engines at 130,000 km but the 0w40 is a better oil than that 5w50.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back