Gas pump clicks off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
99 cherokee XJ 6cyl 4.0
Lately when I try to fill the cherokee the gas pump shuts off really quickly, today it was clicking off when the tank was only half full.
I do have an evap leak, so all roads I think leads back to the vapor charcoal canister. Am I correct with this notion?
Also, a new canister even aftermarket is quite pricey while on ebay I see used ones for about $32, should I go for new or used?
Thanks

First is this at all stations? Some are just annoying and click even on my brand new car. I think they're making the units more sensitive.

Second I think your leak is most likely in the lines (dry rot) or the valve that cycles the canister. That's the usual culprit and the part is way cheaper!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1999,cherokee,4.0l+l6,1431776,exhaust+&+emission,vapor+canister+purge+valve+/+solenoid,4936

Enjoy.

PS
if you nailed the canister on a rock offroading the I guess all bets are off for my fix.

The evap leak is not your problem in this case. An evap leak should make filling easier, not harder.
Some tanks are just hard to fill and some dispensers are set on max flow. A slower flowing dispenser is always easier to get a true fill with.
If I were going to replace a charcoal canister, I'd spend the money on new, since you'd at least then know what you're getting. In a junkyard one, who knows?
Check RA for the part.

this issue started last week at 2 different stations, the canister wasn't ever hit on a rock, I only use the Cherokee to commute

Try disconnecting the tube from the canister and blow it out, maybe spiders or other insects have gotten in there and clogged it.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
First is this at all stations? Some are just annoying and click even on my brand new car. I think they're making the units more sensitive.

Second I think your leak is most likely in the lines (dry rot) or the valve that cycles the canister. That's the usual culprit and the part is way cheaper!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1999,cherokee,4.0l+l6,1431776,exhaust+&+emission,vapor+canister+purge+valve+/+solenoid,4936

Enjoy.

PS
if you nailed the canister on a rock offroading the I guess all bets are off for my fix.

+1

Try this fix first. I was pretty sure i had a bad charcoal canister but it ended up being this. Cheapeat fixes followed by expensive if you truly think its even worth bothering...try holding the pump handle upside down in meantime.

canister and leaks have nothing to do with the gas nozzle clicking out. Try a different nozzle position. Try reducing the flow. the evap canister is not related.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The evap leak is not your problem in this case. An evap leak should make filling easier, not harder.

A EVAP leak on the tank side can result in weird fueling behavior - the dispenser nozzle has a small orifice to "sense" if the tank is being filled, no vapor flow to that port shuts off the nozzle. Newer cars with on-board refueling vapor recovery don't move as much vapor to the fill pipe but there's a provision for that - the refueling/rollover valve will channel vapor to the fill pipe.

We had a Nissan Quest that had a vapor line between the fuel tank and vapor line - if that hose was cracked it was impossible to fuel it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back