What type of struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to decide on what kind of front struts to get. 2003 GMC Envoy 4WD. Not interested in spending a mint on a vehicle I won't keep long-term, thus the all-in-one designs. It is also what I can get cheap (just over cost) from my mechanic.

Monroe Quick Strut - $134 per strut
KYB Strut Plus - $100 per strut

I've read the KYB are a little harsher. Not sure how much?

I'm also wondering about the Monroe Reflex (monotube) vs. KYB Monomax shocks for the back.

Correction, in addition to the front, wondering about the Monroe Reflex (monotube) vs. KYB Gas-A-Just (monotube) for the back.

A little over 7 years ago I put Monroe Sensa-Track Quick Struts on the front, and Monroe Sensa-Track shocks on the back on my 2004 TrailBlazer and I have not regretted it. Rides quite nicely!

I also have Monroe Reflex Light Truck shocks on my 99 Silverado and am also pleased with them.

My grandparent's have an 02' Trailblazer that had Monroe Quick Struts and rear shocks put on it in around 2010. In 12/2014 I felt it didn't ride as well as it used to so I took the struts and shocks off and O'Reilly's warranteed them out, rides much better since. While the first set didn't get a very long life out of them, they weren't horrible when replaced. Just weren't as good as they once were.

Overall I'd recommend them, they're extremely easy to replace on the Trailblazer platform.

I would go with the Monroe, the Reflex Monotube is a totally different shock than the standard reflex. Get past the advertising fluff and there isn't much difference in the quick struts, the springs and mounts are AFAIK made by the same supplier (long story as to how I found this out) go with whats cheaper.

I know of two vehicles running around with the Unity quick struts (dirt cheap on amazon and RA) and both have been doing just fine with them. I helped put them on a Navigator to replace the air ride and I believe all 4 were around $200 shipped. Just throwing that out there. Not saying they are the best or anything, just that they have exceeded my expectations. Also not sure if they make them for your application.

my choice would be KYB
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back