New user--->2003 Civic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I am new to the board and did some browsing but decided to seek some personalized assistance.

I drive a 2003 Honda Civic EX 1.7 liter VTEC with just under 200k on it. It runs well, I just completed my second oil change on it. First oil change was with Castrol Edge 5w-20 full syn and a M1 filter. Most recent oil change (500 miles) was with Quaker State full syn 5w-20 with a wix filter. No issues with the car, I bought it a couple months ago in a pinch because it was cheap and it runs really smooth, I enjoy driving it. I recently changed the plugs as well and it runs even better.

In terms of my experience thus far, the quaker state seems to have provided a boost in power. However, this may be due to the fresh oil change and second round of synthetic oil? I am not sure.

I drive about 100 miles a day to and from work on the freeway. Mostly in rush hour stop and go stuff. That brings me to why I am here.

I want to know what sort of oil and filter is going to give my car the chance of running as long as possible? Is synthetic the best for this old of a car? I know ive read to avoid the "high mileage" oils. I would obviously like to maximize gas mileage and maintain a good running engine. Is a change in viscosity something to consider? I dont think buying 5 quarts of royal purple or amsoil is necessary but some knowledge of the basic subject of what type of oil and filter to use would be appreciated.

Funny you mention that. My brother and his wife both drive 2007 2.4 Accords. His is a coupe while hers is a sedan. He runs Valvoline dino while she runs Quaker State dino. He's always saying hers is faster and runs smoother (hers even has twice the mileage). Maybe the Quaker State's high moly content just "runs smoother"? Seems engines love the Pennzoil/Quaker State stuff. I'm guessing it's the high moly content.

Both oils are fine, these engines seem to be pretty easy on oil. I just tried Mobil 1 5w30 in mu 04 EX, and it seems fine too.

More important than the oil is taking care of the transmission and coolant. Blown head gaskets, failed transmissions, and broken timing belts are what do these cars in.

There's nothing wrong with high mileage oils per se. It can help to slow leaks and oil burning.

That said...if your engine doesn't burn oil and you don't have any leaks, you most likely don't need high mileage oil.

I think your current regimen is ideal for engine longevity, using 5w20 synthetic. Get whatever brand is on sale.

Good deal, thank you everyone.

The car does not burn any oil or have any leaks, I will stick with what I am doing.

Could someone enlighten me a little more on the coolant/tranny situation.

What can I be doing to stay on top of them?

How far can I push the OCI? If I did every 3k, I would be changing my oil every 5 or 6 weeks...which I don't mind doing but it gets spendy.

I take care of my daughter's 2003 Civic EX and it is easy. Good quality oil and filter - I use whatever is on sale.
Coolant, water pump and timing belt were replaced at 110k. Car has 130k at the moment.

Trans fluid change is easier that the oil - no filter. Take out drain plug, capture what comes out and replace the same. 3-4 quarts if I remember. I use Honda A/T fluid; some use Maxlife.

Power steering fluid change - I use the turkey baster to get as much as possible out and refill to line. Run car, repeat.

The doors will fall off before this engine dies with proper maintenance.

Use an oil recommended in the owners manual and change it as recommended. If you have extra $$ go with a synthetic. NAPA Gold is a nice easy to get high quality filter. OEM also. Mobil 1 filter. Wix filters.

I doubt a particular oil gave you a power boost unless the old oil was straight weight 50.

Originally Posted By: Andya26
How far can I push the OCI? If I did every 3k, I would be changing my oil every 5 or 6 weeks...which I don't mind doing but it gets spendy.

If you're running QS synthetic, or any name brand synthetic, don't change the oil every 3k. It would not be necessary. In general, from what you describe of your driving, at least 7500 miles. As was said, these engines are very easy on oil.

To your earlier question: SOPUS = Shell Oil Products US. Their "quality" rankings are Shell, then QS, then Pennzoil. QS seems to make some engines run a bit quieter, though not all. Some notice no change that way, others notice different oils making engines a bit quieter. YMMV.

At the end of the day, a lot of BITOGers tend to be tribal oil snobs, myself included
grin.gif
I'm partial to Pennzoil, but that's my tribe.

Truth be told, any of the SN-rated oils are really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back